Death of the V6?

Yeah, I know you can still get one in the "luxury" car range but it would seem the the V6 engine has more or less (with possibly just a few exceptions) disappeared from the option list in more "normal" cars.

I mean, can you still get a Masda 6, a Golf R32 or any other less than barge sized saloons or hatchbacks with a V6 nowadays? I appreciate that 4 cylinder engines, both petrol and diesel, are improving all the time but what options are left for someone who wants the smoothness and burble of a V engine but doesn't want a huge car?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In the UK they've died at the hands of the financial incentives of owning Diesels and lower emissions banded cars really. BMWs big seller for the last 10+ years has been their 2.0d's. 3.0d I6s lag behind really quite a way and the petrols are only just on the map. Don't even mention the V8s - they sell 'em here, but in tiny numbers.

The latest 528i, traditionally a big 6 petrol, is now a turbo'd 4-pot.

Actually, thinking about it, the big seller for BM petrols is probably the 1 series so that fits "not huge". The 6 cyl 130i & 135i (turbo 3.0) are rapid.

And this is a marque where the enthusiasts flock to buy decent sized petrols. Gawd knows if they still do an ST24 Mondeo, a 2.5 Vectra SRi or a V6 Laguna!

Reply to
Scott M

The fast Mondeo is a turbo two-litre four-pot petrols, but there is a 2.8 turbo v6 Insignia.

The largest car Renault now sell in the UK is the Megane.

There is a 3.6 v6 Skoda Superb (FWD or 4wd). VW don't sell ANY petrol Passats in the UK currently. Audi, Merc and BMW - of course. There'll be a 3.0 v6 Jag XE soon, but whether we get it is guesswork.

Reply to
Adrian

How about v6 diesels?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

About time too. Either use a decent configuration like a V8 or an inline

  1. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I followed a Jag XK with it's supercharged V8 briefly this morning. The sound it makes is positively indecent (in a good way)! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yup. And the sound of an old Jag XK in full song.

Dunno what kids of today see in a popping waste gate. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brace yourself, but the next generation 5-series will come with hybrid power using a forced induction triple...

Reply to
SteveH

Well as long as they make it a two-stroke it shouldn't sound too bad. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Like the i8?

Pair o' them, on a common crank...

Reply to
Adrian

I'm interested to see how this is going to go - if they can get 150bhp and decent torque from that setup, then it'll be a very good company car

- especially now diesels have fallen out of favour.

I think it's being launched just in time for my replacement, too.

Reply to
SteveH

150bhp pah! Pathetic.

I used to want a 1.2 triple, 200bhp. 286 torques with 250 of them at

1500rpm.
But now I want a 1.5L triple - 400bhp.
Peter Hill

Coo, I wonder if Vx badges are cool again after years in the doldrums?

I hadn't actually noticed that. It always seemed to me that they'd got it right with the Laguna; a larger French car that didn't attempt to be strange (cf Avantime, etc) or too French (cf big Cits) and so seemed to sell well here.

(Quick Wiki read) Good grief, no Espace, Kangoo or Modus either. Although I can't say I've ever seen a Modus on the road. And the Laguna III has the sort of looks that wouldn't endear itself to the UK. Says it stopped selling here to make money yet they're still selling them in Eire. I wonder if they're LHD or RHD?

Towards the end of the X-Type they only fitted the 3.0 petrol to the Estate version. Think they'd dropped the other petrols by then.

Reply to
Scott M

Absolutely fine as a company car - remember, we have a Saab 9-3 Aero and a Boxster 3.2S in the fleet, too :)

Current company hack has 184bhp, but it's an unrefined tractor engine.

Reply to
SteveH

Still a lot of mechanical forces going though tiny metals. How long will it last when blasting 400 hp? Remember the F1 engines, only lasts 1 time trial and 1 race, then major rebuild costing 50 gran or so. How many horses do we need?

50hp - just get away with it 100hp - common garden family car 200hp - feels so right, that should be the minimum 400hp - a fast car you can call a fast car 800hp - use clean underwear 1600hp - you are lying
Reply to
johannes

You better go review how long 600bhp 1.6L V6 F1 engines have to last this year.

Plenty of V6 are out there or on the way. New Honda NSX 550bhp.

Don't think UK is getting the V6 Mustang. But the I4 turbo makes more power anyway. V6 is bottom of range.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Mustang with a 4 pot. Now that's just wrong. Yes, I know it produces over

300 BHP but it's just not right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'd say it would be cheaper these days to produce a four pot turbo with much the same power etc as a V8. For those with no soul. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Talk about wrong, my dad had a LHD Ford Galaxy station wagon (about a

1960) It had a straight 6 and a three speed column change manual, it was pretty horrible to drive, but was reliable, and so huge that you used to remember to park it so that you didn't need to walk all the way around it.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

I was reading the other day that the makers of some US cars are now putting V8 sound effects synchronised to the engine through the sound system .

the 2015 peugeot 308gt diesel for the UK has it, apparently.

Mrcheerful