dent repair

Hello,

I have a Vauxhall Astra which followed a lorry down the road today and got hit by something that fell off the back of the lorry. Unfortunately we didn't know any damage had been done at the time so didn't take the lorry's number. Once the car was parked, we found that there are two small dents on the roof where something has skimmed the roof. Worse still, there is a walnut (?) sized dent in the edge of the bonnet, on the edge above the radiator, and also there is a "star" pattern on the number plate, so it appears something hit that too. All of the dents have unfortunately scraped off the paint. So what to do next?

Does the number plate need to be replaced or can that be left alone?

Since the paint has been damaged, is it likely that a body shop would want to pull/fill the dent and respray the whole bonnet?

The vauxhall dealer has its own body shop but is that likely to be very expensive?

I have heard good things about "chips away" but I've never used them nor know anyone who has used them first hand. Are they good or is it just a matter of asking locally for recommendations?

Is there anything that can be DIYed? I see people selling rubber suckers but the reviews I have found on google have been disappointing.

Thanks Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

that does not sound like amateur repair stuff from here. a bodyshop will want around 200 quid per panel to fix it. chips away will not usually get too involved as it sounds outside their scope, but you could ask. if the number plate is readable then I would ignore it, the worst thing that may happen is that it will fail the mot. but number plates are only a few quid in any case. rubber suckers only work on broad dents with no creases.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Insurance.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for your replies.

You were right: chips away said they cannot do bonnets or the roof and recommended a local body shop. We had a few quotes and they were in the region of £500-600, so just over your estimate of £200 per panel. Because of this, we are going to take the other poster's recommendation of going through the insurance and just hope the premium doesn't jump too much next year.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Stephen

nice to hear your follow up !! insurance will always go up, mine did till I hit 50 and then it went down a bit !

Reply to
Mrcheerful