Diagnosis Seized Caliper?

Bit of a newbie question I'm afraid.

A few weeks back my 1996 Pug 106 developed a vibration on braking, especially at speed. I took it to my local friendly garage (who are well recommended) and they said the front offside caliper was seized. They "unseized" it and replaced the pads (the old ones looked seriously knackered, burnt at the edges and crumbly).

For two weeks it was like having a new car, beautiful brakes. Now guess what. The same problem has returned. After reading a bit on the 'net I tried jacking up the front of the car and spinning the front wheels by hand. The near side makes a slight scraping noise and a reasonable push makes it turn once. The offside is worse, it takes quite a lot of effort to make it turn one free revolution and the scraping is really obvious.

Now I'm pretty sure this means the offside one is seized again, but what about the near side? Should there be any scraping sound at all? Should the wheels revolve more freely?

...and what do I do about it? I know you can service calipers, but I'm a little hesitant about doing that as my life depends on these two little bits of magic! Is it actually difficult or really straighforward[1]? Could it be a problem that servicing would'nt fix? Would it be worth me getting a professionally reconditioned pair and just replacing the old ones?

Any help much appreciated!

-Andrew

[1] I've worked on drum brakes in the past, so I'm happy with brake bleeding etc. and I well understand how the caipers work...
Reply to
Andrew Collins

you first need to establish what has happened. I once had a car with binding brakes that had a maladjusted brake switch holding the brakes slightly on. so calipers might NOT be the fault at all.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You'll get a bit of a scraping sound from the crud that accumulates on the outer edge of the disc.

Offside is seized again. Get a new caliper.

Reply to
Conor

Getting confused, offside is stuck so that's seized.

Reply to
Chris Street

Peel the dust covers back & see if the pistons have gone rusty (a peugeuot speciality for some reason). If they have then buy a recon caliper as it just carries on recurring, if not clean the slides up properly.

Reply to
Duncan Wood