Diagnostic tool.

Is this good enough for the occasional use on my Gutless_Wonder (KA) Hopefully all_singing_all_dancing not needed.

Rog

If you just want to view and reset OBDII codes, yes.

The supplied software is very basic, but does the job. Other software, offering more functionality, may be available online, though not necessarily legally.

What none of the cheap devices, either USB based or stand-alone, will do is give you control over maker-specific functions like resetting air bag warning lights, or toggling selectable functions on/off.

FWIW, I paid a bit less for mine from eBay. It's worth finding a seller with really good feedback as you might find the first one you get doesn't work. They are very cheaply made.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris, dived in not noting the thread below, but yes, just needs to be basic, just to let me know what the engine management light is telling me. Cost me fifty quid to reset it last time. Rog

Reply to
Rog

I purchased one from ebay as suggested by Chris. It came next-day so I tried it out over the weekend and found it does the job OK. You need to spend a bit of time setting up the software on your laptop. One of the supplied softwares (EasyObdII) ran straight out of the box but others needed some adjustment of the comports, baud rate etc. I thought it was well worth the tenner - all I have to do now is wait for the engine warning light to pop up again and diagnose the fault! John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

Have aquired the said code reader (which works), ran it off my lad's laptop, ubuntu on mine, gives a P1030 lambda sensor heater fault. A check with a m/meter gives an open circuit. Rog

Reply to
Rog
[...]

More than paid for itself already then. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan