Diesel additive Forte

Hi, I have a 95 Diesel Corsa Isuzu engine-done 130K and its a bit lumpy and smokey on start up and I was told to put redex diesel in the tank to clean out the injectors but it hasnt made any diff. So as the car isnt worth enough to justify getting them cleaned professionally, I was told to pour Redex directly into the Fuel filter and start/turn over the engine to clean out the injectors....I know this sounds crude but as a DIY method is it worth doing/would it damage the engine?

Ive read that some people use 1 bottle for the filter another for the tank? is that too much? the forte is 400ml. I want to change the fuel filter at the same time and I was wondering if I should pour the stuff into the old filter and run the engine, then throw the filter and fit the new one? Or is it ok to put the stuff into the new filter?

And finally do these cleaners have long lasting effects? as I've seen most comments are to do with "quick fixes" for thr MOT Emission's test.

Would appreciate your comments

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

As long as it's not lumpy or smoky when it's warmed up I would save your money. A 10 year old engine is bound to show it's age, but it's not a problem.

Naturally diesels are smoky until they reach working temp, have you ever seen a big truck start up on a freezing morning? This is the reason smoke tests are carried out on warm engines.

Steve.

Reply to
shazzbat

professionally,

start/turn

Hi Steve,

Well to be honest its part of a wider problem with slow starting-7 secs of engine cranking over before she splutters into life with a cloud of white smoke and uneven idle for about 5 secs but she is fine afterwards. I bought her a year ago and the first thing I did was change the Glow Plugs with Halfords ones and reading in the archive tells me they are probably shot now so I was hoping that putting some Delphi Plugs and trying to clean the injectors with the Forte may cure or improve the situation?

Also Ive had her valve clearances done at VX in Jan which improved her starting but I still think she is too slow.

Mike

Reply to
clouddz

Glow plugs would bew the prime suspects here, and certainly worth checking. I would disconnect the wires to them and check each one individually for open cicuit, which is the most common way they fail.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Give it an oil change too. Use a decent quality oil (I used Castrol GTD). Put a bottle of Wynns Stop-Smoke oil additive in too. Worked for my 176K Rover. The only other thing I did was a cambelt change.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Forte diesel additive actually works well. Only use it once or twice a year, as needed, for maximum penny saving. Give it a go and if it doesn't work then you will have not wasted much time or money.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My mechanic has used2 bottles of Millers diesel cleaner for the last couple of MOTs on my isuzu Astra...one directly thru filter and one in the tank...its always worked but it not for very long after the mot!!! is the forte one better?...might try that wynns one too

Reply to
Lar

The Wynns one I'm talking about is added to the _oil_ not to the fuel. My car hasn't smoked since, and the MOT was February. I think it's the oil change that does the most good though.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Hi thanks everyone. I will try the Wynns Stop Smoke and the Forte. Apparently Vauxhall main dealers use Forte products on these engines.

Onto my Glow Plugs, I still have the original set I exchanged for the halfords ones last year and these are NGK ceramic ones. Anyhow I was testing these old Plugs for resistance and got readings of 1-1.5 Ohms for three of them and 1 of them I got a reading of 22 ohms! and it looks burnt BUT if I measure the resistance on the screw thread and main body of the Plug I get 1.3 Ohms???

So my question is are these reisitances showning burnt out glow plugs? and do you measure the resistance between the screw thread top of the Plug and the body of the pug OR the metal part that the screw thread goes into and the body of the plug?

I think I will test the older plugs by taking off the bus bar from the plugs in the engine and fitting the older plugs on the bar while out of the engine and switch the ignition on and look for the glow pattern? Does that sound ok?

One thing to note is that last year after I changed the plugs with the halfords ones I saw no difference at all! in starting/cranking time.

So I was thinking perhaps I should just get one NGK plug and replace the other 3 plugs?

Please advise me as its my 1st car and and im on a budget as Ive already had a new radiator fitted and the engine reshimmed.

Mike

Chris Bolus wrote:

Castrol

Reply to