Diesel injector pump help

Hi

Anyone familiar with the Bosch VE injector pump, and can tell me what this spring loaded leaver does, arrowed.

i have a very old XUD Peugeot which is becoming a bit smokey come mot time

i would like to turn down the governor speed which is set at about 5500rpm atm to a more realistic 4500, (less smoke, less big bang theory.)

thanks for your help.

Reply to
John Donne

I think it`s the emergency stop ? start it then use the lever ?

Reply to
Redstar

If you want less smoke you'd need to reduce the maximum fuel limit, not the max speed. But if it's smoking due to worn injectors that won't help much. Rebuilt injectors for an XUD shouldn't be particularly expensive though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Your governer speed is set to high at 5500 rpm anyway , desiels are not happy run above 4800 rpms

Reply to
steve robinson

Max for an XUD is normally 5100. You won't get any power at that though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think thats around the limit for most desiels , i wouldnt want to run one for long at those engine speeds though

Reply to
steve robinson

The mechanical limit's normally a lot higher, you just can't get the diesel to burn fast enough to do anything usefull.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Duncan Wood" saying something like:

Which is probably why the VE pump starts to reduce fuel delivery from

2500rpm (iirc) upwards, to the point where, at 4500rpm, it's only delivering 20% of max.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes thanks for that you are correct, i don't think any other pump has this feature i can't see the point of it unless i get part of me wrapped around a pulley when the engine is running. ;(

Reply to
John Donne

its amazed me he hasnt thrown a cam belt

Reply to
steve robinson

If there's a good reason for your amazement - like the cambelt being way past its replacement time, smoke might be the least of the OP's problems come MOT test time..

Reply to
Zathras