Diesel MPG guage

I seem to be asking the impossible,

i want a dash mounted MPG meter for my van, it's a diesel, so i need something with 2 flow meters, and the nessacary electronics to compare the inlet and outlet fuel lines flow, and display the results as mpg.

This is for a purely mechanical diesel engine, so there's no way of measuring anything else, it has to be with flow meters in the fuel lines,

there are galons per hour meters available for boat type people, but i want something that takes the speedo pulses (electronic speedo) and displays miles per gallon, plus the boat instruments are all stupidly expensive,

i need a real time reading meter too, as the van's going on a rolling road soon, and i want to be able to see instiantly if i'm getting better or worse fuel consumption, rather than having to keep adding fuel to the tank and work it out the old fasioned way.. not that there's owt wrong with that, but i want something to display the mpg as i drive,

i know i'm getting about 20 mpg now, which is crap for this van, but there are a few things i can tweak, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier if i can tweak the turbo, fueling screw, or pump timing, and see there and then if it's better or worse.

Reply to
CampinGazz

Carburettor SD1s were available with a trip computer, and they used a fuel return line. They also made a diesel version, but don't know if a computer was available for that. Complete SD1 trip computers come up on Ebay often and go for pennies - they're pretty reliable, so not much call for them. They're in two parts - the display which also has the electronics, and a remote key pad. I'd say it would be fairly easy to mount. I dunno about the carb fuel sensor - mine's an EFI. It's switchable between litres, US and UK, so I'd guess be relatively easy to alter the calibration. Assuming your speedo sender gives about the same number of pulses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman