Diesel VW Transporter - glow plug light

Dear chaps,

Could someone hazard a guess as to why the dashboard glow plug warning light on the above van, 2.4l diesel, remains dimly lit when the engine is running?

The plugs are being energised properly and switch off when they should but usually the light extinguishes completely.

Also when the engine's hot and being re-started the glow plug light doesn't usually illuminate but it does now, then goes dim when the plugs are switched off and the engine's started.

I hear there are sensors somewhere which tell the glow plug circuit what to do - any ideas where they might be and how to test them?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

dirty munged relay contacts. Munged up so when open, there is still a little flow of current.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

See, I suggested it might be that but I was shot down. I'll suggest it again. I thought it was either that or a dodgy earth somewhere.

Ta muchly.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot