Dipping Lights

I'm just curious why it is that motor bikes can't dip their lights. Are they fitted with some Volvo-like wiring that leaves the lights on full beam even on a sunny day or is it something more fundamental?

________

dp

Most bikes can turn their headlamps off, but IIRC there's some silly new law that means they're hardwired on on most new bikes.

US import bikes seem to all have them hardwired on.

Oh, and please don't post in HTML.

Reply to
Pete M

Could you explain why?

Reply to
Kyle

I believe Capri drivers have similar wiring to bikers.

Reply to
dp

Because a lot of news clients do not understand HTML and show all the control characters , making the original message near to impossible to read.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Fear of Volvo drivers, Corsa drivers and people with roofboxes , all signs of obtaining a driving licence in a particularly lucky box of cereal.

Adam

________

Adam Aglionby

In news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk, dp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

That's good.

Reply to
Pete M

I will play Devils Advocate - I'm not being difficult!! So why, when his client does understand and others don't, should he have to change so that others can understand him. If someone wrote a program and my computer did not understand it, I would not expect them to change the program. I would change what I am using.

Reply to
Kyle

You're not playing devil's advocate, you're playing trolling moron.

It is accepted practice to post to text newsgroups in plain text, not html. A convention. That's all. No more, no less. Like driving on the left. A convention, so that everyone knows what to expect.

Reply to
Grunff

Becuase usenet is older than the World Wide Web and HTML hadnt even been thought of. HTML adds considerably to the size of the message, some servers will simply strip the HTML off, the one I`m posting from did, and dial up users and old usenet w*kers moan like f**k about it.

M$ lookout express is one of the few newsclients that actually tries it on with HTML posting to news. The world of computing is more than one Bill Gates vision.

Should really have top posted this as well to guarantee a thread running to hundreds of posts.

Bottom line posting in HTML will reach a fraction of the intended audience.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I reckon most of them have tilted the light up so dip shines straight in your eyes. Something to do with being seen at all times - especially when riding down the wrong side of the road at twice the speed limit. They reckon it works like a death ray and gives them protection...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Kyle" saying something like:

Because usenet is generally a text-only medium and html posts are totally unsuitable for the users of news clients that are set up to display text. In this case it's not the readers that are out of step, it's Microsoft for making the default posting style html (it can be changed easily enough on the poster's news client).

In my case it doesn't bother me since I filter out posts written in html, in the likelihood I'm not going to miss much.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Because it's like posting in a foreign language to an English speaking group. Some may well understand it, but others shouldn't be forced to learn that language.

Eh? If I posted a file from my DTP proggy here you certainly wouldn't be able to read it. Although HTML is a universal format, it's not so universal as plain text, and that's all that's needed for a newsgroup.

Also, some still have dialup, and pay per minute for downloads. Why increase that cost for no benefit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

________

Hi, My friend drives a motor bike and he has his lights on all the time. I asked why and he said it is because car drivers ignore bikes enough as it is so they put their lights on so you can see them in the day as well as night.

strange if you ask me

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I, however, used the default settings on Outlook Express.

Reply to
dp

I can see the point for dipped lights in the dull winter days of Scandinavia, but full beam on a sunny day is a bit much. I have a tendency, if there's no one else within reach of my beam, to flash my lights. The effect of this is that everyone is dazzled and can 'see' very little. I live in hope that it might help them to realise what they do to others.

Reply to
dp

Have you been asleep for the last 20 years? Government campaigns since the early 80's have encouraged the use of daytime lights for motorcycles. I think it has even been stated that either they do it voluntary or it will be legislated.

Peter Hill

They can.

It's twatishness. Whilst it might make them more visible it pisses everybody else off who are then less accomodating to the next motorcyclist they see.

Luckily the use of main-beam is usally associated with the less skillful end of the motorcycling spectrum so they don't create a nuisance for that long.

John, 35k a year by motorbike

Reply to
John Greystrong

The message from "Kyle" contains these words:

Because news is a plain-text medium.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Kyle" contains these words:

So I can send you a word processing file in an arbitrary format of my making and you'd struggle to find something that reads it? This I must try.

Seriously, it's a standards thing. News is a text only medium and the vast majority of users appear happy for it to stay that way. It's really only Microsoft who feel it needs glitzing up. I prefer the quality of the words to stand or fall alone, rather than on a crutch of formatting and bling.

Reply to
Guy King