Direction of Air Flow

the arrow points toward the car interior

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What do you think the filter does?

Hint: it removes pollen from *outside* the car so that the air *inside* is cleaner.

Visualise the air flow in relation to where it fits in the car. Does that make it more obvious?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ask the car. Turn the fan on low and see which direction it's trying to push the air.

Reply to
rp

This is the sort of thing that frightens me about unqualified people working on cars.

If you have removed the old one then it will be obvious which side has the most dirt, bugs and leaves built up on it, this side will be the side that is exposed to the 'fresh' air, the dirty side will be the tail of the arrow. The point will lead to the interior of the car.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's only a pollen filter...

Surely even the briefest of glances to the housing will give a good indication of which way goes to the interior and which to the intake?

Hell, if it comes to it, turn the fan on full whack, and see which way the air's being sucked...

Reply to
Adrian

it could be something critical like brake pads or a fuel filter or a wheel, or a track rod end etc. etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm replacing the Pollen filter on a 2002 corolla 1.6, and the filter has an arrow on the side which it says is: " Direction of air flow ".

Would the air be flowing from top to bottom or from bottom to top, please ?

Reply to
Les Smith

There was no pisstake intended, but something as simple as a pollen filter direction should (I think) be self explanatory to most people. What areas of expertise do you have? Sone people are best suited to a limited area of knowledge, and good luck to them.

I have a particular aversion to unqualified mechanics after a close friend died in 1976. He fitted a brake pad in the wrong way round on his motorbike. The wheel locked at speed causing his immediate death. The design must have been pretty bad to allow it to happen at all, but he was a bit of a bodger.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Les

From my reading of the comments here, a valid point was made regarding the fact that a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Now with that rather supercilious reply of yours, I wonder what your "area of expertise" is, and whether only a little of knowledge of it by an amateur doing it - and making a mistake - could *really* cause dangerous problems?

Not a banker by any chance are you? :-)

Ormolu

Reply to
Ormolu

But rather overblown IMO. A classic "But think of the children!" response. To jump from a problem with fitting a pollen filter to an assumption that this might lead to someone making a fatal mistake is a supposition too far.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim,

But the statement is factually correct. In this case was simply a pollen filter change with no real consequences if it was inserted incorrectly - what would be the consequences if someone did that on a safety critical part simply because they lacked the knowledge to ascertain the correct fitting sequence - even after seeking and getting advice from a 'qualified' source?

That's the point.

Reply to
Ormolu

And back in the real world, if you took your car to the main dealer to have the pollen filter changed the job will have been given to the most inexperienced of apprentices, it will have cost £50+ and you will have had a water leak because the cover was incorrectly fitted.

Reply to
alan

Have another shot please mr cheerful. the arrow can only be up to the sky or down to the dirt, when its fitted in.

Reply to
Les Smith

[...]

I left a wheel with a small local garage for a puncture repair, and went to collect it later in the day. Fortunately when I got home I decided to swap the wheel onto the car.

It was then that I found there was one more hole in the wheel than there were studs on the hub. :-(

I dashed back to the garage and fortunately arrived before the other guy came to collect HIS wheel.

He could have been from Scotland or Cornwall...

Reply to
Gordon H

Careful, he could be a urology surgeon, might take more than the piss!

Reply to
Gordon H

ROTFL

Ormolu

Reply to
Cash

Well if any of you ' superior ' types venture into my area of expertise, i'll remember to extract the urine from you as well........

Reply to
Les Smith

It would be bad news if he attempted brain surgery as well. What indication do you have that he intended doing either?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel