Dirty lambda sensor?

I had open loop LPG system in my car, and I decided to add lambda sensor and fit LPG LCS (LPG lambda control system). I also fitted small LED voltmeter to monitor air/fuel ratio. It worked OK, going from rich to lean and back.

But since temperatures drop I had to start on petrol (and I have carburetor), so that evaporator would not freeze. It looks like I am running rich during warm-up period, and now system would not oscillate up and down. So I did some "Italian tuning", and it started to oscillate again (but not as fast as before).

I do 99% short (~2 mile) city slow trips to and from work, so the engine does not even warm up properly.

Did I damage the lambda sensor during warm-up period (running rich), or can I somehow clean it? Or just ignore it, and whatever is deposited on the lambda sensor will burn when I stop petrol startups (when weather improves)?

Reply to
me

This might be less of a problem if you use a heated lambda sensor (or do you already?)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

Yes I do, three wires. Bosch LS02 universal lambda sensor.

Reply to
me

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

This got me thinking... I checked lambda sensor heating, and there was no +12V there. A wire slipped of the connector at the relay I added (I was playing with something else recently).

Spot on, as usual, thank you.

Reply to
Yvan

Perhaps you should have soldered it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a danger when soldering connectors on vehicles: that the end of the wire becomes stiff with solder, it then fractures after just a bend or two, while a crimped connector allows more flexing and sliding of the individual strands before it actually starts to break and even then it is only a strand at a time rather than the whole lump. (I found this out the hard way, years ago)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It was a joke leading on from another thread. Hence the smiley.

Crimping with the correct tool is neater and quicker too. But if you must solder make sure the wire is supported in some form of strain relief not too close to the joint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nedavno Dave Plowman (News) napisa:

Actually a wire did not slip off of the connector, the bullet connector came undone. :-) I put the male into the female of it back together and the problem was solved.

English is not my native language, and I am trying the best I can to describe my problem(s). I also try my best help others with their problems (as much as I can), but sometimes I just can not find the right words, and I decide not to write anything, as I think that that is better than to cause someone to do some damage because of my limited knowledge of English language.

Reply to
Yvan

Don't worry, I wish I could communicate as well in another language as you do.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Lets be honest, we quite often wish some native english speakers round here could manage it ;-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry I must have missed that thread, which one was it? I must admit that sometimes I get bored with the direction a thread is leading and ignore it from then on.

On a brighter note I have just applied for a full time job as a maintenance technician, I have all the required qualifications so I should be shortlisted at least. It is well paid, pension, 4 weeks to 5 weeks holiday etc. etc. If I get the job I will probably keep on a few car regulars and ditch any that are in the slightest way poor quality. This is the almost the first job in my life that I have actually applied for in the regular manner, so it is quite an interesting experience for me.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good luck !

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Minor misspellings/grammar I can put up with, but garbage 'text speak' really gets me down. I also hate it when people try to justify their lack of trying to dyslexia, if such a thing exists then why not use spell check and the like, at least make an effort.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Your knowledge of the English language far exceeds that of half the native English speakers on Usenet. Many of them apparently don't know the difference between their, there and they're or its and it's or steal and steel or brake and break and don't even get me started on text speak like 'ur' which drives me nuts. I find it hard to understand how anyone can go to school for 12 years or so and come out still unable to spell basic one syllable words. I can understand them not having advanced maths or being a bit shaky on quantum physics and string theory but basic spelling?

Either it's a damning condemnation of the education system or the intelligence of the average h*mo sapiens. I'm not sure which. So you carry on son, you're doing just fine. I just wish my French and German were half as good as your English.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Oh you're doing just fine. I doubt there are many here who can communicate as well in a second language. Many not even in their own. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'More Rover V-8 questions'

I'm obliged to follow it since I started it. ;-)

I've been reading lots of forums etc that have been recommended for advice on fitting the MegaSquirt to the RV8 engine, and it's pretty interesting what people want from it. The 4X4 boys seem to fit it to racing Land Rovers so have different priorities to me. The TVR lot seem only interested in vast horsepower. SD1 types can't afford it so no help there. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nedavno Dave Baker napisa:

I remember making that same mistake :-)