Disassembling distributor - Help

I need some help to disassemble the distributor (I will fabricate a bracket out of it).

I removed rotor arm, mechanical advance assembly, but now I am stuck. I do not want to break the housing (that is all I need), so a link or suggestion is welcome.

Here is where I am now:

Yvan

You'll probably find there's a retaining pin or ring on the shaft somewhere.

Reply to
adder1969

Just knock through the pin that is through the gear on the end, then the shaft will pull through that gear and out of the body.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

Any ideas how to seal opening when I remove the shaft? Are there bearings that I need to remove? And then just close with a long bolt and nut (and a gasket)?

Reply to
Yvan

Will be plain bearings in the body of the dizzy.

Why bother removing the shaft? Just put the cap back on to keep out the crap, or have your local engineering firm make up a nice ally blank 'cap' ??

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Ask for the dimensions of this

& see if it's the same size, if not somebody else must make one that is. Alan...

Reply to
Phaeton

Nedavno Tim.. napisa:

I want to remove the shaft to use body of the distributor as a base of the mounting bracket for EDIS ignition coil.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Phaeton napisa:

> & see if it's the same size, if not somebody else must make one that> is.

Thanks, but I do not want just to plug the opening, I want to use body of the distributor as a base of the mounting bracket for EDIS ignition coil.

Reply to
Yvan

I've no idea if this applies in your case, but some engines take the drive for the oil pump from the distrubutor gearing. Check that out before you remove everything...

Reply to
Doki

Watch out. I don't know about your particular engine, but on some engines the oil pump drive is taken off the distributor drive and removing the shaft mean you get no oil!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Nedavno Doki napisa:

I did. From Bentley BMW E30 repair manual:

"On models with 4-cylinder engines, the oil pump is driven by a chain actuated by a gear on the front of the crankshaft."

So it should be OK to remove distributor.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Walker napisa:

As I wrote I checked that, and it's OK to remove distributor.

Reply to
Yvan