Dishonest about selling a car

What amusing phone call might be made to a not very nice bloke and his not very nice pal, who are re-advertising a car for sale that actually looks reasonably good, supposedly a lady owner, and only a small milage on it; but in reality is a worn out piece of rubbish. And they know this full well.

It's easily gone right around the clock. Somebody is going to get really stung by these dishonest people. So what might one (legally) say in a phone call to give them a sleepless night and think twice before cheating someone?

Reply to
Dug Wilder

On 3 Aug, 15:34, "Dug Wilder" wrote: Complaint to local trading standards?

Reply to
Onetap

Private sale or trader?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you can get the V5 details etc, you can bring up the last 4-5 years of MOT in terms of mileage, advisories, failures and so on. That way you can a) justify your claims and b) make it clear what the real condition is.

I recall the number of "LCD odometer resetting service companies" is vastly greater than the actual number of failures would ever require for the entire world since their introduction. You can check mileage via many means, from inspection of pedals, seating, bodywork, inside the sills, battery acid, slop in various components such as bushings to engine mounts, windscreen wear. UK weather is pretty severe and a high mileage car will have noticeable weak spots identifiable when looking around the same model, ie, 40k genuine vs 90k clocked even if motorway.

Reply to
js.b1

I think the OP already knows the car is misrepresented; he wants to know what he can do about it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dont buy it?

Once bought, unless from someone big enough to sue, its a waste of time trying.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If documentation is dodgy, I think there's a DVLA hotline.

If it's grossly unsafe, talk to the police.

Reply to
dom

By "etc" I assume you mean MOT details?

Reply to
The Peeler

Check what the website requires. I think you need the V5 document & car registration number.

Then you can then bring up the MOT history which would be useful.

Eg, if the MOT history says 118,000miles and they have clocked it to

42,000miles then you can telephone and say "why does the MOT history say 65,000 97,000 118,000 and the car is advertised as having 42,000miles. Then on to Trading Standards & Police - otherwise it is one person's word against another, police want some admissable evidence.

Did it for my own, sadly it does not go back far enough because I know the mileage was tampered with and tyres changed after purchase. It was purchased by a dying relative and I got landed with the bill, unable to sell for anything but little cash value (and a shed load more besides) and would have liked to have sued the main dealer. The main dealer went bust anyway soon after. Just after recessions are very very bad times to buy cars if you are not properly diligent or very good times if you buy carefully. This is particularly true after easy- credit took over, because a car listed at =A34200 for 3yr old in the depths of the recession became =A36995 straight after - people just financed the difference. Same on Ebay, a certain laptop was =A3399 for years on end, collapsed to =A3250 in the recession, back to =A3399 the year later re credit despite being a year older.

There will be some **** cars around at the moment, tread carefully. It used to be Porsche where the bills were multiples of =A3250 for the 944 (as in 2-3x for routine work & repair) and the 911 were multiples of =A3500 (as in 2-3x for routine work & repair). Now Common Rail Diesel can easily land you in what used to be 911 ballpark. Audi servicing costs are another case entirely, they stuffed themselves rotten create glass aerofoil palaces and some rather expensive "that can happen to some".

Reply to
js.b1

usually such people have other cars and at least one is illegal.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Dug Wilder writes

Paging Adam

Or ... ask in UKRM

Reply to
geoff

Very unlikely they'll have the time to bother over just one example. The majority of cars sold by certain sectors of the used car trade are 'clocked'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why me? I have no ideas how to stop them with legal methods.

I also once sold a car that was a dangerous heap of s**te.

I covered my back and called it a Ford Sierra in the advert.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth wibbled on Wednesday 04 August 2010 00:14

Not a crime if you don't hide the fact - so did my mate. A 1963 Morris Mini. he was upfront and told the buyers to bring a trailer as the brakes were shot (amongst other things). Didn;t stop them driving it back to Belgium (or at least to end the of the village, for we never saw it again).

How does that scale run?

Renault = You are the proud owner of some scrap iron and a couple of gallons of petrol.

Fiat = you buy the rights to the brown stain on the road which you may like to scrape up into a jam jar and try smelting it on your BBQ

Trabant = see thread on cardboard shredder?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I hid the full main dealers stamp on the service book:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dug Wilder" saying something like:

Stuff the legality - phone up and make out you're from Trading Standards.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I read it that he wants to wind up the vendors.

Reply to
Peter Johnson