Disintegrating seat foam

Hi I've recently bought an '08 Mazda 5, which I'm quite happy with. Only thing is that the drivers seat is losing its foam on the right hand side - the bit that contours upwards to accomodate your arse. It seems to be rubbing on the metal frame & just flaking away, to such an extent that the covering is quite loose.

Is it possible to get replacement foam or would it be prudent to look at a scrapper for a new seat? I can't say I've ever seen this problem before, I'm not sure how the foam attaches to the seat frame.

Cheers

CD

Reply to
CD

Foams do sometimes seem to degrade randomly. It *may* be possible to add extra foam (from upholstery supplier) from the bottom. Fabric is usually clipped to metal framework attached to seat structure, with foam just held in by the tension. Sometimes it is not too difficult to remove part of the cover to let you do a neater job of inserting suitable foam (often easier to remove the seat first).

Reply to
newshound

Mk1 Golf GTIs used to do it all the time.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

if you decide to have a go at fixing it, be very careful to find out if it has explosive seat belt pre-tensioners 'before' you work on it. Once a seat is out it is generally not too hard to work out what to unclip to allow access.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Excellent advice! Should have thought of that myself.

Reply to
newshound