Dismantling rear caliper on 205 1.9 GTi.

I suspect my rear caliper (Bendix) has seized on my 1.9 GTi, so I've taken it off to have a look at. I'm trying to get the piston out, but with no joy. I've twisted the piston a long way out, but can't seem to get it free. I've also tried using a bicycle pump to force some air in there to push it out with no success - I just build up lots of pressure which causes the remains of the brake fluid to spurt everywhere when I remove the pump, yuk! I know an air compressor would provide more pressure to do this, but its what I've got to hand at the moment.

Is there something I'm not doing right? I would expect the piston to move outwards with the application of air, but it doesn't seem to, but it twists out easily enough. I know the piston has to be aligned (rotated) correctly when fitting the pads, which I've done when applying the air.

Reply to
Davemar

just reconnect it to the brake pipe and press the brake pedal slowly. it makes no difference turning the piston.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Replacing the rotten brake pipes too, so can't do that option! Anyway, I got it out in the end, just kept pumping with the bike pump and it eventually popped out (lovely pop noise it made!). As it happens everything in the caliper looked in tip-top condition, so I suspect the brake compensator has seen better days.

Reply to
Davemar