DIY Radiator repair?

The Freelander has got a very slight leak from the radiator. I cannot pin point the spot where it is leaking, but certainly in the bottom third at one side.

The radiators are £90ish new. That isnt too much of a problem, but if possible, I would like to repair the old one. I did it a few years ago on a motorbike, and that held for 2 years until I sold it, so do you think it is possible to do a LR radiator? Presumably, if they are aluminium, they would be pretty difficult, but copper would be an easy solder when cleaned up?

Thanks for any thoughts. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

FWIW my strategy has always been Bars then scrapyard.

Reply to
newshound

Bars, that brought back memories Haven't used it for years but it was always my first choice for a radiator fix. First "google" for it brought up

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Better stuff now which has a copper flake in the mix made by several companies. Much finer and doesn't seem to cake up the system just fixes the leak.

Something like this stuff

Other than that I would replace the radiator.

Reply to
Rob

Depending on where you are located, our local firm Arrow Radiators [Melksham, Wilts] repair and recore rads/coolers/intercoolers etc. You may have such a firm locally who can fix it rather than use any additive.

JB

Reply to
JB

Yes, thanks. I don't intend putting any sealant into the water, as I am not convinced it woudlnt block/coat some other cooling system part.

As for re-coring/ taking it to be repaired, I cannot see that being cost-effective. Apart from the hassle of removing it, taking it, fetching it, then having to refit a day or two later, it would make more sense to just buy a new one, as they are reasonably priced at less than £100. OOI, what do you charge for this service?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

They are so thin, IME it's not possible to make a lasting repair.

Just replace it.

And I dont addvocate Bars / Stop leak / egg yoks either.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I'd still be inclined to gamble a fiver on sealant, especially on an old car, as much as anything to save the aggro of going shopping and doing the replacement.

Reply to
newshound

That's the ticket. Bodge it up and let some other poor sod sort it out later.

Reply to
Sam