Do hadbrake shoes last forever?

Hi all,

I'm getting new discs and pads for the back of my Saab 9-3 at 60K miles. Is there any point getting handbrake shoes too, or are they supposed to last practically indefinitely?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

And another thing - Why doesn't my poxy spell-checker look at the title?

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Never seen a handbrake shoe, new to me. My Celica's have shoes at the rear, not drums and yeah i change them a quarter of the amounti do the front pads.

Anyway im off later to Manchester, to watch the live show of Brit worst Celeb driver, its the same company that made worst home last year which i was on, so i called them last week and saying can i come along and meet Erik Estrada as i love CHiPs, i also spoke to him on the fone last week! I met Quentin Willson last year, hes a really nice guy, not like he comes over on tv, hes down to earth and came in the minubus with us contestants rather than a cheufer(cant spell that word) like the other tv celebs did. The show is on live at 8pm tonight on CH5, im off in the my tatty 77GT Celica and cant wait for Quintens comments to start!

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

i've never had to cahange a pair on any of the series land rovers i've owned as they only had material scraped off the shoe if you used the hand breake to come to a sto (think amarican i'ts not a hand brake but an emergancy brake).

using the hand breake to keep you stationary dosent wear them at all.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

I've owned Carltons and Omegas for the last 10 years and only changed the handbrake shoes once and only them because the friction material separated from the shoe. So you probably won't need to do them mate.

Reply to
Gary Millar

Depends if you habitually pull on the handbrake with a moving car or not...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I assume that the handbrake shoes are seperate to the main rear braking like Cavvies with rear disc brakes that have a drum affair in the middle for the handbrake? If so, I expect they probably do as they only "should" end up being used when the vehicle is stationary in the first place.

Reply to
Conor

I replaced the ones in the Previa at about 130k after having to do just that periodically. The handbrake shoes developed a fault where they would catch somewhere, creating a knocking sound which varied with road speed (the first time this happened I got recovered from France with it, not funny, story elsewhere). I later found that pulling on the handbrake while the car was moving stopped the noise, but obviously it didn't do the shoes much good. I suspect the drum had developed a rust lip and the shoes moved off-centre or something like that. Eventually I fitted new discs, replacing the shoes at the same time, and haven't had a problem since. Having talked to other Previa owners this is a common fault.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Thanks all for the confirmation. I'll just order the pads and discs then.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

The message from Colin Stamp contains these words:

I once replaced a set on a 2CV but that was 'cos the originals had fallen out.

Reply to
Guy King

Parking brake drum in disc system? Yes. Unless you drive round with the handbrake on often, they're unlikely to be worn.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought Landrover handbrakes worked on the gearbox, and not on the wheels ? (or something like that) Graham

Reply to
Graham

You're probably thinking of inboard discs, which aren't far from the gearbox.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@Whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

IIRC, Series Landies have a transmission brake - a drum on the 'box output shaft.

They're not alone, either. I can think of at least one vehicle (C35/242) with a disk on the 'box output shaft for the handbrake.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Yup. I've often wondered how much use that would really be in an emergency situation.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only time I've seen one applied at speed the series 3 rolled.

Reply to
Duncanwood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Duncanwood saying something like:

Oops...

Surprises me, but I suppose the rear wheels locking up and the relatively high CoG of the SIII wouldn't help if it started going sideways.

What I thought would happen, but obviously doesn't, is the sudden application of the transmission brake would lead to snapped halfshafts or propshaft UJs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Kind of like slamming an auto into Park?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Depending on the auto, that doesn't necessarily do anything.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bolus saying something like:

I did that by accident once on an XJ12. Much gnashing of teeth (mine) ensued as the parking pawl broke. The box was unaffected in other ways though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon