Do I need the seat-belt tensioner on replacement car seat?

I have got a replacement car seat for my Megane from a scrap yard as all the springs and lumbar control have gone in my drivers side seat and it is very uncomfortable.

The car seat I got from the scrap yard is from a car which had been in a crash and although the seat isn't damaged the seat belt tensioners fired in the accident. Does anyone know if I can just take the one off my old seat and fit it to the new one?

Do you even need them to be working?

I would appreciate any advice

Reply to
news.dsl.pipex.com

fitted,as for changing them i would say very dodgy,if they dont work i would assume their will be a light on saying theirs a fault in the system.

Reply to
simon

news.dsl.pipex.com let forth with a mighty belch and uttered :

Yes, but heed every warning you find regarding handling them. Ensure it cannot fire during installation.

Reply to
Sean

Okay fair enough but can I just take one from my old seat and fit it in my new one?

Reply to
news.dsl.pipex.com

They normally only need to work the once in an accident so severe that it causes the tensioners to fire.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

re-programming etc,can but try.

Reply to
simon

No. There is no legal requirement for seat belt pre-tensioners.

Reply to
RMckay4631

They do help if you have a head on, whether there is a legal obligation or not.

Reply to
martin

Having tried it with & without I preferred with.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I believe Caterham installed them into their 7 to meet injury criteria legislation, to permit continued export.

As part of the seatbelt system they are homologated, but (Assumption) I assume that if you unplug your old one and fit it to the new seat then plug it back in it will still be part of the original vehicle, so there will not have been a change to necessitate the control module to be reprogrammed.

If you do unplug it, don't forget to disconnect your battery and ensure all static has gone from the vehicles safety system before un/plugging anything. Better still, pay someone to do it (Like a Renault garage) - it is their risk bodily and liability for any replacement PBP.

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Well thanks for all the advice. I tried it today and it worked just fine. I disconnected the battery and the appropriate fuse in the engine fuse box. Waited a while so any remaining charge leaked off. Once I had the new seat in and connected it all back up it didn't fire so I presume all is well.

Cheers.

Reply to
news.dsl.pipex.com

Don't forget to try it out by driving headlong into a tree... ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

If you plug the new seat into your car with discharged tensioner the SRS ECU will know and illuminate the fault lamp, so yes you should swap the original tensioner over.

You will need to disconnect the battery and leave it for 15-30mins for everything to go completely dead and reduce the chance of a fault lamp lighting after.

Be very careful when you are working with the tensioner that it doesnt go off- there is no "safe" key for these that you insert, and whilst they dont go off as easily as an airbag be cautious.

Turn on the ignition switch after and reconnect the battery- try to make sure the lead contacts the battery post once and properly rather than brushing it- i..e make a good clean contact.

Hopefully you wont have the SRS lamp lit!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l