Dodgy rear window element - quick fix?

One of the "lines" of the heated rear window element is defective. Is there an easy fix, or do I just need to live with it?

2002 VW Golf.
Reply to
Krycek

A conductive paint is available from Halfrauds et al. A successful outcome will depend on the type of damage, and how carefully you use it.

I've had about a 50% success rate in the past.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You may need to trace the actual point of the break, some are obvious, others not so. Once you have found the break(s), apply masking tape either side of the line, to make the repair tidy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Actually, the most important part of the process is to get the area clinically clean. The second most important step is to do it on a day when it is warm, and with low humidity.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Blimey, so the original poster is going to have to hope for a day like this next summer?

Or take the car to Spain..? :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Good idea. He'd not really need to worry about the HRW at all then!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Or get a fan heater running for a while pointing at the screen.

Paul J

Reply to
PaulJ

You can sometimes see the break when the screen is condinsated (?) and there is a very small spot of clear screen where the break is. As already mentioned the conductive paint is a bit hit and miss, though I have had success from it in the past

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Problem solved!