Does this engine look worn for 90?

Does this engine look worn for 90k? I have had cars with a lot higher mileage and the engine didnt seem to look as worn as this.

Here is the rest of the car

Somebody paid 1150 for it from a car dealer March this year? Thats a lot isnt it?

New alternator 16/2/00 244.23 - That seems a lot. I thought a new alternator was about hunded pounds or so? Cant be that much labour on top surely.

Reply to
Brian Pears

LOL, you're having a laugh yes?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Unfortunately you can't really tell if an engine is 'worn' just by looking at it. To me, that looks perfectly fine. There is no excess of oil drippage (no leaking gaskets externally). The engine could, however, be totally shot. Bearings could be on the way out, piston rings could be losing compression and allowing oil to be burnt etc. Saying that, it's a Honda engine so should probably be OK.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

F'kin ell. I paid under half that for a lower mileage FSH example 2 years ago.

The alloys weren't bubbling, there were no scuffs or scratches, the drivers side window worked as did the central locking.

It's about worth it's current top bid.

Reply to
Conor

New Alternator, 20 quid from your nearest scrappy's, fitted by yourself.

Reply to
Billy H

Brian Pears (BP) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's a photo of the outside of an engine. "Worn" implies the inside.

Last March, I think you mean...

For a '97 620?

1150 Yen would be cheap. 1150 US Dollars would be towards the top end, but not impossible if it's really nice nick.

1150 quid would be taking the piss. Unless you meant March 2004. Or perhaps

2003.

Brand new alternator, fitted by a dealer, new belt, it's not unfeasible. Bear in mind that it was a three year old car at the time, so ignore Billy's scrappy suggestion.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I didn't see the date there, I was way off the mark, on another planet entirely for that one.

Reply to
Billy H

What I meant was the engine bay area, does it look like its done more than 94k? Looks a bit tired to me for 94k.

Reply to
Brian Pears

Brian Pears (BP) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It looks like a slightly grubby, but not leaky, 9yo engine. The mileage has no bearing on the appearance of the engine bay.

At least it doesn't look like some f****it's been poking a steam cleaner round the bay, trashing the ECUs and sensors.

Reply to
Adrian

Recon, £40 fitted.

Reply to
Conor

I can show you engine bays that have only done 50k but you'd think they'd done several times that. All it is is corrosion on the alloys which is down to age and how it's stored.

Reply to
Conor