Don't get pranged by the policy shunt

Don't get pranged by the policy shunt >By Josephine Cumbo >Published: June 24 2005 15:33 | Last updated: June 24 2005 15:33 >>

Motorists who don't check the small print of their insurance policies could be in for a nasty shock as insurers take away key elements of their cover, potentially leaving them unwittingly uninsured.

The government's clampdown on uninsured driving is prompting insurers to withdraw a long-standing extension, which allows third-party policyholders to drive vehicles they don't own.

This occurs as insurers also eliminate the 14-day "grace" period from policies, also prompted by concerns over uninsured driving.

However, a quirk of the new insurance regulation could mean that these changes will be overlooked by thousands of motorists.

Norwich Union Direct, which insures one in seven cars in the UK, has become the latest insurer to withdraw its Driving Other Cars extension. Its competitors are expected to follow suit as the government acts on the recommendations of an independent report into un-insured driving, said to add £30 per year to the premiums of honest motorists.

Norwich says the Driving Other Cars extension is contributing to the problem of uninsured drivers as the cover is often unintentionally misused.

The extension is only intended to apply to emergency situations, but some younger motorists were using it to drive more powerful cars belonging to their friends, says Norwich.

This week, the AA said it would consider the issue with the panel of

22 insurers for which it brokers.

Norwich says it is communicating this change, which it has described as key, through letters to existing policyholders.

However, one Norwich Union Direct policyholder has accused the insurer of "burying the bad news" in >a 13-page booklet which came with her renewal proposal.

Peta Rogers of Horsham says she was astounded that Norwich had placed this vital information about her policy after a lengthier section on changes to courtesy cars and hire cars.

"It seems to me that an office of your size and standing should have the courage to risk the loss of business that may ensue from spelling out in clear and simple terms what you have done," Rogers wrote in a letter to Norwich.

"Now that small print is not allowed, please don't just bury bad news in mountains of verbiage. The consequences, to me and others involved, of finding myself underinsured after a serious accident are just too awful to contemplate."

Norwich strongly denies that it tried to bury bad news. It said it had a raft of changes to its policies, including arrangements for courtesy car and legal cover, to communicate to its thousands of policyholders.

"We can't possibly know what is more important to some customers and not others," says Liz Kennett, a senior official with Norwich.

"We highlighted in the renewal letter that there had been changes to the policy and that is why you need to read the booklet which was titled 'Important Notice to Policyholders'.

"I don't see how much more we can possibly do," she adds.

Consumer groups say Rogers' case highlights a quirk of general insurance regulation, which allows companies to treat new policies and renewals differently in terms of the small print in their documents.

The Financial Services Authority, which began regulating the sector in January, requires those selling new cover to provide user-friendly policy summaries which carry the Key Facts brand.

Documents with the Key Facts logo are supposed to help the consumer buy the right cover by listing salient points about the policy in a brief format, reducing the risk of significant exclusions or limitations being overlooked.

But this demand of "less is more" was dropped for renewals, due to industry pressure. For the thousands of policyholders renewing each year, their insurers are only required to send them a statement setting out changes to their cover from the previous year. As in the case of Rogers, the small print in these statements can run to a dozen pages.

"One of the dangers is that with such long documents (such as that Rogers' received), you may miss something which is pertinent to you," says Mike Naylor, principal researcher with Which?, the consumer rights group.

"Many consumers think they have better protection under regulation, but the onus is still on them to check their policy."

The Financial Services Consumer Panel, the independent voice for consumers of financial services, this week said Rogers' case added to their concerns, already raised with the FSA, about the fair treatment of customers.

Some within the industry agree that more needs to be done to alert consumers to current and future changes affecting their policies. This is a particular issue since general insurance products can be sold without advice.

"Whether they have cover for driving other cars is not something people always ask when they buy a policy," says Graeme Trudgill of the British Insurance Brokers Association.

"But if they are buying without advice, for example directly over the internet, they need to check if they have this cover. Otherwise they could find themselves driving uninsured and that is a very serious offence."

Trudgill says this case also highlights the need for policyholders to check for other significant exclusions. He says some think they are covered for driving in Europe when they are not, or often don't know their policy does not cover their commute to and from work.

The FSA says the Key Facts concept is essential to helping consumers get a fair deal and is scrutinising the industry for poor examples of policy summaries.

However, some are not convinced that even this >will prevent consumers missing important changes to their policies, such as the removal of driving other cars cover.

"Until companies are more upfront about what's in their policies, the only way you can be sure whether the product you are buying is suitable is to read the full policy document," says Naylor.

Find this article at:

begin 666 c.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

begin 666 spacer.gif K1TE&.#EA`@`"`( ``,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````"``(`0 ("A%$`.P`` ` end

Reply to
i didnt say that i dont think so

So if you're fully comp you will be ok. No bother then.

Reply to
Malc

NOPE read it again, it is saying that the thirdparty cover to drive someone elses car is going to be removed, so basically for example,, ,,, if you go to see a car you want to buy, and you want to test drive it first then you will not be covered , you will have to get in touch with your insurance company and buy a cover so you can test drive the car before buying it,,,

i am sure other people can come up with other ways this change will evect other people...

Reply to
i didnt say that i dont think so

Nope, the third party cover is for vehicles you don't own. You "normally" have to be fully comp to get that. I think what is being complained about is that they are changing that addition. It no longer applies to some companies policies. They tell you there has been a change in big letters, but you need to read all the pages of small letters to find iut exactley what it is.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Actually it says thirdparty policyholders. I hold a fully comp policy so I'm a fully comp policyholder. You may well be right I just feel like peing pedantic this afternoon.

Reply to
Malc

And in any case if you have that cover it will say on the policy documents and schedule. If it doesn't say, you *don't* have it.

I have had third party policies which have it, and fully comp which don't. It isn't automatic with fully comp by any means.

(Burned for 6 points and £260 by the small print a few years ago - I *read all of it* now....)

Reply to
PC Paul

i didnt say that i dont think so wrote on Fri, 01 Jul 2005

13:59:21 GMT:

So say so in the policy!

And? That's entirely legal, isn't it?

Other than not _removing_ cover under the rather illogical pretence of reducing the number of drivers driving without cover?

Reply to
David Taylor

So a good way to tackle the problem of uninsured drivers is... to create more uninsured drivers, and do it in stealth mode by weasel words in small print hardly anyone reads fully. Right...

So the UK isn't in Europe anymore? Thought that 'ooooh no, you need extra cover for France!' thing had died years ago...

I live in the USA these days, it's much simpler. You insure the car, not the driver - *anyone* who drives one of my cars, with my permission, is automatically covered - the cover goes with the car, not the driver. AFAIK all American polices work like this.

Mike

--

'As I walk along these shoresI am the history within'

Reply to
Mike Ross

The message from "David Taylor" contains these words:

Yes - that was the problem. It was entirely legal but not fair to the insurers (poor dears) 'cos they weren't paying a premium in line with their risk.

So they've removed the priviledge 'cos it was being abused.

Reply to
Guy King

I had the odd situation a couple of years ago where I, having passed my motorbike test, could only ride my bike, but my wife who didn't even have to take a CBT to ride a moped, could ride any moped. It was the same insurance company too.

Reply to
Malc

Guy King wrote on Fri, 1 Jul 2005 19:17:09 +0100:

And claimed it had something to do with reducing the numbers of drivers driving without insurance, which is obvious bollocks.

Reply to
David Taylor

The message from "David Taylor" contains these words:

Clearly.

Reply to
Guy King

So the real thing is that we now need a list so we know what company does what.

Reply to
T.

That is *fantastic*

Is it relatively more expensive though to have this?

Reply to
T.

ISTR motorcycle policies being like that (I'm going back over 25 years now) - at least some of them. IIRC Norwich Union used to do it.

I would think so. I have read Americans complaining about high insurance premiums - although that may be more due to the litigation-happy nature over there.

Although I can see the benefit of such a policy, I reckon the premiums would be astronomical over here. Plus the insurance companies would doubtless put lots of restrictions on them, like minimum age, maximum number of points on licence etc. which would put the onus on the policyholder to ensure that the driver would be insured.

Parish

Reply to
Parish

Or even read your policy.

Reply to
Conor

Oh agreed.

With my current insurer, I have basic 3rd party cover on any car not=20 owned by me, with the owner having their own insurance, and driven with=20 their permission. But and here is the bonus, if my car is in getting repair/MOT/Service,=20 my insurance actually covers me for a car loaned to me by the=20 motortrade, at full comprehensive cover. I didn't believe it could be=20 that good, so I phoned (twice) and spoke to two different phone monkeys,=20 and they confirmed it. I showed it to garage who would hav my car for a=20 week, and they were happy it would cover their courtesy car while it was=20 away for a week.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hmm. Nowhere on my policy does it say the other car has to be insured by someone else...

Curious.

Reply to
PC Paul

Nor has it on any policy I've ever had with the 3rd party extension.

At the risk of reopening a big can of worms, I can't see why it needs to if the car is never parked on a public road. Obviously a car needs to be insured to be left on a public road (in case the handbrake fails, and it rolls into another car, person etc), but what about the following scenario:

Person A borrows person B's car and crashes it. Person B has their car insured just for them to drive, and person A is covered under the "3rd party on any car not belonging to the policyholder". The claim arising from the accident would be on person A's policy, as it was them driving it, and they wouldn't have been covered by person B (the car owner)'s policy, so it's the only possibly policy that could cover it.

So there's no real need for insurance companies to insist that a borrowed vehicle being driven on the 3rd party extension is insured in its own right, unless it's parked on a public road. So maybe they should reinforce this fact by mentioning "please be aware that it is an endorsable offence under the Road Traffic Act to leave a car that is uninsured in its own right on a public highway". But then again, does it need to be insured in its own right in order to sit on a road? Is the person borrowing the car technically still "in charge" of it once it's been parked and locked up?

Basically I can't see how, with the letter of the law as it stands, it should be illegal to drive a friend's car on the 3rd party extension, even if that car isn't insured in its own right, if steps are taken to avoid leaving it unattended on a public road (quite easy if journeys are planned). Though I can fully see why a lot of insurance companies want to stop this facility, as it has *massive* potential for abuse.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Mine neither - I'm now wondering if it might be an amendment to the original policy (I've been with the same insurance company for 10 years).

I'm concerned. When I got my current car I sold my old one privately and, as it was no longer insured, I parked it on the local pub car park. The two people that came to test drive it both brought their insurance certificates along (at my insistence) and in both cases it said something along the lines of "The policyholder may also drive a vehicle not belonging to them and not hired to them under a hire purchase agreement" - same as mine - so now I'm wondering if they were really insured?

Parish

Reply to
Parish