Don't go to Car Craft in Darlaston.

Just thought I'd post a note to pass on a warning about my bad experience.

This afternoon I was passing Carcraft Westmidlands in Darlaston. As I'm in the market for a new car, I thought I'd pop in and see what they'd got in.

From the very second I drove onto their land I felt like I was in a concentration camp. After I'd received permission to go in I was told to go through the main entrance where I'd be met by a sales man.

On walking through the front door, I was greeted by a large area, and a small gate into the showroom, this is where the pack were standing, awaiting their hunting to begin. I explained that I was in a hurry as I was between meetings, and that I simply wanted to browse what they had in. I was made to take a seat (chair not se-at) and fill in a form while he gave me his little presentation and told me how good their finance is and how stupid people are who pay the cash price. Asked whether I was single or stupid, and led onto the shop floor. To show me where the cars are (The place is packed with 1500 of them, but I need showing where they are.)

After a while of being led round to a presentation and giving him very short sharp blunt answers, he finally left me alone to look. But told me that if anyone was to ask me what I was doing, I was to say that "Shawn" was dealing with me.

In the following 15 minutes that I spent browsing, three other salesmen came up to me, and asked what they had to do to get me to drive one of these cars away today (Or similar one-liners) I rebuffed them all. And began to leave.

I was met at the exit barrier (Yes, barrier!) by yet another guy, who continued to tell me how wonderful their finance is and how they can get anyone finance. I told him that I had to leave as I had a meeting 30 miles away in 30 minutes and I was already going to be late, to which he said "That's no good, I can't sell you a car in a hurry, I'd need at least an hour to sell you a car." To which my response was..." I don't want SELLING a car, I want to buy one of my choosing in my own time." He was a bit taken aback by this, and joked, "yeah well, you'll probly find your cars' been clamped in our car park...heh he."

I said..."Yeah, certainly feels that way."

What an utter nightmare of a place... They clearly have no respect for customers and see them only as gullible prey.

I'll certainly never be going back there, and exposing myself to that. And I suggest that no one else does either. Save yourself the patronizing and hard sell crap. These are clearly a management cultivated attitudes, and they stink.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Ooh yeah..... this one's funny....

In his initial speach he told me that they have 1500 cars in stock, they sell about 100 per day, and that if I see a car I like then I should buy it there and then, as the average shelf life of a car to stay in stock is just

20 -30 days..

However, he seemed a little confused when I pointed out that if they sold 100 cars per day, over a month, they'd need a stock of 3000 cars not

1500. Twice the amount.

What a bunch of over pushy ignoramouses. Mind you, I blame the management not the guys themselves. They've had it bred into them.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Hi Paul,

That's why I go to Fords of Winsford, not to be confused with Ford cars. It's a completely different approach. I was fearing sales people but drove in and someone approached in the car to ask if I had been before. When I said "NO" he handed me a stock list and asked if I wanted to borrow an umbrella as it was starting to rain. The man explained how to find the cars from the list as they're parked in rows, where the office was and said if I was interested in anything, to just go and ask. All the features and prices are on the list which you can take away to study, or even sit drinking coffee in their waiting area. You can test drive a few cars and if interested let the people know. One of them goes with you of course! No pressure, you can walk around looking for as long as you like and no one bothers you. You certainly don't get stopped on the way out or chased up the road by sales people. I think the reason for that is that they pay a wage and a bit mroe for each car sold, rather than just for each car sold. I bet they sell more cars than the type of place you describe! I have no idea what the finance is like now, but they did give a good quote by email when I was interested.

Try them on

, not sure where you are so no idea if it is any use. I'm just a happy customer. If only all car sales places were like that!

Reply to
Ian

But I've walked out of dealers for ignoring me...............

Reply to
IanDTurner

They ignore people that don't want to buy! If you really wanted a car they would let you have one, the type they hate are timewasters and test pilots. We're not talking about dealers such as main dealers, more like car supermarkets.

Reply to
Ian

Carcraft and similar places are actually selling sharky loans .... the cars are just the method to get you to sign up to userous intrest rates etc . steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Totally agree with Paul. Myself and my dad went to a few car supermarkets when my dad was looking for a Mondeo. These places are just like going to timeshare presentations.

Reply to
Kris

I went to the same carcack west midlands, in darlaston and found exactly the same. What a bunch of tossers.

Reply to
John Woodhall

They only seem to have respect for your wallet.!

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

oooh,,,, oh.... car-shaft west-midlands...

what a cool song. how much in debt to them are we for playing that song on the radio...

Reply to
Paul

From thier advertising you can tell they are not selling cars, they are selling finance, using cars as a mechanism for this.

If you want a relaxed approach in that part of the world try motorhuse

2000 - but not much in the way of S/H cars last time I looked.

You could try the one around by the island (I forget the name) but they are GM owned I think, use the place to shift GM cars, and you have to check the prices, they are often higher than network Q but without the warranty - but with a lot of AA finance stickers on the screen ...

Both places are free and easy, you can park and wander around at will, come and go as you please. If a salesman does stop for a chat, politley say something like "I'm just browsing, thanks" and you'll be fine.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Went to the one in Sheffield with my cousin who was after a car but didn't know what he wanted.

Approached by the salesman told him we were just looking and had no intention of buying. Went outside and poked about, sat in, tyre kicked a load of small hatchbacks until he decided he fancied a Ka, the saleman had come out to find us but we were trying a Fiat coupe for size so he got a bit narked and went off in a huff when he told us we had no intention of buying today (which we'd told him an hour earlier) and were wasting his time.

Had no intention of buying from them as they are overpriced anyway, if they are pushy then tell them to piss off. "Shoppers" in this country are too passive which these places use to their advantage. Worst they can do is ask you to leave. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

Been to this place with my ex-mother in law..........

yeah, they only have respect for your wallet if its empty so they can tuck you up with a rip off finance deal.

Try the ol "how much off for cash" line.....some discounts were for finance only....so cash ended up costing more

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

IMHO anybody who buys from Carcraft I pity.

They are sharks who prey on people who are either desparate or not financially clued up.

They offer a decent price for your banger and sell inflated priced cars with monster sized finance packages spread over long periods.

They blitz the TV with commercials...who pays for that...the mugs that sign up for the cars.

The guy who owns it has a posh mansion overlooking Hollingworth Lake Nr Littleborough. I frequently hear his Ferrari accelerating off , and occasionally see his Porsche Cayanne passing also. I wonder how much finance he has to pay for them over 5 years ?

Reply to
Ebodski

Try Availablecar.com supermarket near Castle Donnington (just off M1 between Leicester and Derby). Very relaxed place, no pressure, pleasant staff and keen prices. In the end I didn't buy from them, but I know several people who have and they've been very happy.

Reply to
Microstar

carcraft and other such places make their money on finance,

so far only Yes ! have been above board about being a finance co that uses the cars it 'sells' as the security on the finance

- but

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

Carcraft at Rochdale is just the same. No sooner had I gone into the show room the pounched and I felt trapped. It was as if they wanted to know how much money I had to spend and they were going to tell me which car I was going to buy.

I couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

Will NEVER enter a Carcraft showroom again.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

They have a jobs page that says " These positions do not require motor trade experience, as full training will be given. Successful applicants need to be committed and flexible enough to work regular weekends and unsociable hours. In return we can offer an attractive salary package in line with our leading position within the motor industry, together with excellent opportunities for career development."

Nuff said. I wish they had a place up in Scotland so I could go in and cause havoc. :)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

%some dood% scribbled:

I had the same thing happen in car-shaft in sheffield. I went in looking for a diesel vectra and the salesman kept trying to sell me a petrol laguna. He kept saying the laguna was better "appointed" than a vectra. He just wouldn't listen when i told him i didn't want a Laguna.

Lee.

Reply to
LeeEskriett