Door light problem Golf Mk IV

Dodgy door lock module I'll bet. A common fault on the mk4, not to dear to replace.

The bad news is you'll have to strip the door down again when you get a new one from the dealers lol.

But before all that check the fuses and light bulb itself while your at it.

...Also out of interest how did you remove the inner door skin part ? (looking for very detailed info as I'll be removing it on a golf soon, so this is all very handy information)

Did you have to remove the window at all ?

Thanks

Reply to
James

Hi,

I've had an annoying electrical problem on my Golf Mk IV TDI's driver door for a while.

The door light doesn't illuminate when the door is opened, the alarm to tell you that you've left your lights on (when the door opens) doesn't sound, and the little graphic showing a door is open, does not display for the driver's door.

In short, the car doesn't know when the door is open.

I assumed there was a switch of some type on the door that governed this, and following a suggestion, we looked for this switch inside the door, by the latch today. After some fun removing the outer and inner door panels, all we found was a 8 pin connector which connects to the lock, just inside the door from the door handle. My stepson thought it looked fine and didn't think the problem was there.

We scratched our heads, and stared at the various cables but coudn't see what the problem was.

I couldn't really follow the diagrams in the Haynes manual, but could it be a fuse?

Or supposing I take it to the local VW people and ask them to fix the door light, but to let me know if its going to more than 30 quid? :)

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

It's probably the module, not the connector.

No

Yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On 12-Apr-08 20:43:15, James said

I might just ask the dealer to do it. :(

Do you know what fuse I should be looking at? Can you (anybody) narrow it down at all?

Right, my stepson did most of this, I think there were about 8 bolts on the inner skin.... He disconnected various connectors and there are 3 "tounges" at the top of the inner skin which hook into the window slot, it lifts out, and pops back in but its a bit fiddly (for me anyway).

I think he had to disconnect the cable going to the door handle - yes, he did, and that looked a bit fiddly when you re-connect it, but he sorted it out pretty quick. Oh yes, and there was a cable tie, which we had to cut and replace - we pushed it in through one hole and then you have to encourage it to come out of another hole a couple of inches away. You can reach through a nearby hole and try to encourage it with your finger, but the its quite tight, and the edges are sharp. Fiddly!

I'm rubbish at this stuff, and wouldn't have had a chance without my stepson - and he has vowed to stay away from Golf doors in future. :)

We did, I think there were a couple of bolts that he undid, and then I lifted it out of the frame by dipping the "front" (sharp) end downwards. This was pretty straightforward.

Right, I think that's most of it, but as you can no doubt tell, my stepson was in charge, and I was mostly making encouraging noises. If you have any specific questions I can ask him and post his reply if you like.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

You've done all the work it will be quickly done now you know how to get to it, couple of hours.

Sure its fuse 14 which is a 10A fuse (red in colour)

Ahhh, should be fun in store for me then lol.

Cheers for theh eads up.

lol, l eft him with some mental scaring :)

OO thanks.

You've been very helpful Angus, thanks for the information, I think I'll have a go on a quiet sunday afternoon when I'm feeling brave. :)

I hope you get it sorted soon, a pain in the backside of problem.

I dug up a list of fuse locations for future reference which may be handy worth printing off.

MKIV FUSE LIST

  1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).
  2. Turn signal lights (10A).
  3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).
  4. License plate light (5A).
  5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).
  6. Central locking system (5A).
  7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).
  8. Open
  9. Anti-lock brake system (ABS) (5A).
  10. Engine control module (ECM): gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine, Model Year 2000 > (5A).
  11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).
  12. Data Link Connector (DLC) power supply (7.5A).
  13. Brake tail lights (10A).
  14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).
  15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).
  16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).
  17. Open.
  18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).
  19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).
  20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).
  21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).
  22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).
  23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).
  24. Windshield and rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).
  25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).
  26. Rear window defogger (25A).
  27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).
  28. Fuel pump (FP) (15A).
  29. Engine control module (ECM) gasoline engine (15A); diesel engine (10A).
  30. Power sunroof control module (20A).
  31. Transmission control module (TCM) (20A).
  32. Injectors: gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine (15A).
  33. Headlight washer system (20A).
  34. Engine control elements (10A).
  35. 12 V power outlet (in luggage compartment) (30A).
  36. Fog lights (15A).
  37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A). light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).
  38. Emergency flashers (15A).
  39. Dual tone horn (20A).
  40. Cigarette lighter (15A).
  41. Radio (25A).
  42. Engine control elements (10A).
  43. Heated seats (15A).

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:

S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A). S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A). S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A). S176. Relays panel interior (110A). S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A). Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A). S178. ABS (hydraulic pump) (30A). S179. ABS (30A). S180. Coolant fan (30A). ",0] ); D(["ce"]); //-->38. Central locking system (with power windows), luggage compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).

  1. Emergency flashers (15A).
  2. Dual tone horn (20A).
  3. Cigarette lighter (15A).
  4. Radio (25A).
  5. Engine control elements (10A).
  6. Heated seats (15A).

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:

S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A). S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A). S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A). S176. Relays panel interior (110A). S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A). Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A). S178. ABS (hydraulic pump) (30A). S179. ABS (30A). S180. Coolant fan (30A).

Reply to
James

Hi all Any advice on the same problem on a renault megane scenic 1.6 8 valve. It's a 1999 model,first shape Please don't reply with 'sell it/scrap it etc :-)

Reply to
Mark Smith

Sorry no idea on that vehicle.

Reply to
James

On 13-Apr-08 14:15:38, James said

Yeah, but I've lost my lead mechanic, and I gather the module is rivetted into place, so its getting beyond my lowly skills.

Thanks, checked and not the problem, sadly.

Definitely, very many thanks for that.

On my travels I found this webpage, and it would be worth you having a look rather than relying on my description. In fact if a picture is worth a thousand words, then erm..... there's a lot of words worth here. :)

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Ahhh, sounds like he was very handy to have around. The module is riveted in with two plastic modules just slow drilling gets them off. Then there are 2 hex looking bols on the side of the door to undo and thats it.

Nuts!

No problems.

Thanks for that make a very interesting read.

Thanks Angus and good look in sorting out the problem.

Reply to
James