Door release

Mornin',

I've got the Triumph out recently, and the driver's side door release sometimes doesn't release fully - you either need a good shove on the door to open it, or it doesn't close properly.

The catch in the lock mechanism on the back edge of the door isn't being retracted fully, so it leaves a small bit that gets in the way of the staple on the body.

Is there something I can adjust?

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Striker plate on the pillar?

Reply to
Conor

Depends if the door shuts flush with the car sides when it does catch. You wouldn't want to adjust it if it results in a bad fit. Then again, he hasn't told us what Triumph it is. On some, a bad fit was normal.

Sounds more like a tired return spring in the catch mechanism to me.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Does:

TR7 v8 for sale:

From the OP help at all :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Yes :->

I've tried adjusting the striker plate, but having observed the catch, the tired return spring sounds very likely. There is a bit of the catch hanging down inside the channel where the staple on the striker plate should go, which is what prevents the door closing. I can lift it with my finger (oily!) and then the door shuts.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

OK Sherlock. So it's an elderly convertible with a heavier than original engine and the doors don't shut properly.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Er, right! The passenger door shuts fine, and when the driver's door shuts, alignment is fine. Secondly, the all-ally rover v8 weighs in very nearly the same as the cast iron 2.0 slant 4. Thirdly, Find me a Triumph convertible that isn't elderly :->

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Wasn't it originally designed for the V8 anyway? Also, the Rover V8 isn't that heavy.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yup.

nope.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Think id start by removing the locking mechanism from the door, drowning it in WD40 and working it a fair few times and rinsing all the old grease and grit out of it. Then Id take a light spray grease (not WD40, its not a lube :D) and give it a decent spray around inside. Work it a few more times and see if that makes the little catch retract better. If not it might be the return spring.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thought so. For some reason the BL managment changed it to the relatively limp-wristed 2.0 4-cyl.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

James Dore wrote on 23/02/2007 :

Generally for that era of Triumph....

If you remove the door panel and look at the back of the door release, there is a nut and bolt adjuster to set up the release linkage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield