Drat - Focus lecky window

Something has finally gone wrong on the Focus after nearly five years. A few days ago when the car was all iced up I tried to open the drivers window before it had apparently thawed out sufficiently. It grunted for a second and then the window freed up with a pop as the ice broke but it's now not a happy window motor. It goes down ok but on the way back up it stops half way and needs to be left for a few seconds before it'll close the rest of the way with a second press of the button. It's like the motor gets tired and needs a brief rest.

Is this definitely going to be the motor or is there any other possibility for the fault?

Reply to
Dave Baker

there will be a sort of thermal cutout so as to avoid buning the motor out if something got stuck in there. that is probably why it stops halfway.

probably one of the lift arms is bent or its roller has come out of the track on the bottom of the window, or a pop rivet has snapped

fiestas have major problems but they use a wire system, I am fairly sure yours is more conventional.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Interesting.

My wife has a Fusion with *very* slow front windows especially on closing. It's three years old in January so I was going to get them looked at before the warranty expired.

I presume the Fusion has the same set up as the Fiesta - does that means slow electric windows are normal?

Reply to
Doctor D

It may just be the 'parking' function of the one-touch close operation has got a little confused - I've seen it happen before.

I'm pretty sure the procedure for resetting the park function is described in the manual.

Reply to
andytucker

fusion windows are normally quite rapid, I haven't timed them, but they seem at least average, they are not too common for me yet (only two on the books ) and I haven't stripped out a door, but I would guess they have the dreaded fiesta wire system, at the window end there is a small piece of plastic which breaks if you try to put the window down while frozen, the only repair is a complete new winder mechanism, very common on fiestas in the past.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not really. You broke it ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That is not the reason it's fitted though, the real reason this fitment was *mandated* was due to (mostly kids) being killed after getting 'garrotted by electric car windows. Not much stops a door window motor, in the same way as not much stops electric pop-up headlight motors or windscreen wiper motors...

...indeed, due to the reasons given above!

Reply to
Jerry

Cheers for that.

It's due a service and MOT in January. Our local Ford dealership have been very good so far so they can do those and chcek out the windows before the warranty expires.

Reply to
Doctor D

Thinking more on this if the fault is purely mechanical I fail to see why it would make any difference waiting for a few seconds after the window has got half way up at which point it resumes closing again. It would either work all the time or it wouldn't.

Reply to
Dave Baker

That sounds promising. Manual unfortunately also stolen by the little s**te who smashed his way in and took the radio a couple of months back.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The thermal cutout cools down & you can run at maximum current again without tripping it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah - sounds feasible. I did have a play with it again this afternoon and the window glass is very loose compared with the other side. You can lift it up and move it about all over the place so yes it seems something has definitely broken. I guess I can live with until the weather gets better. I bloody hate stripping doors down though. Some damn thing always breaks or the waterproof membrane rips or you can't get the trim clips off or back on again.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yup, it's always easier when it's warmer. £3 for the door trim clip tool is money well spent though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood