Driving Test

Had my test today and failed - not by much and the examiner did say that if it wasn't for that she was really impressed with my driving. I need to know the answer to a question she asked me on car maintainance though because this one I couldn't answer her - "How do you know that the power steering is working?" If she'd asked me how to change the head gasket I could have told her no probs or change wheels or fluid levels - I did get one of those - but power steering???

Many Thanks,

Gaynor

Reply to
Gaynor

The only simple test I can think of is "Can I turn the steering wheel without gargantuan effort?".

Reply to
Doki

Yep, I reckon that's one of those questions where the answer they're looking for is obvious you fail to even mention it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Put pressure on the wheel by turning it when the vehicle is off. Then turn the ignition is on, and try it again. Know the difference.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

They actually ask that??!

They must think people are stupid, saying that I'm not sure if everyone would actually notice if their power steering wasnt working..

I hate the nanny state society!!!

If she'd asked me how to change the head gasket I could have told

Reply to
Ben Organ

wind up.

Reply to
li

There's no play in the connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, it isn't really heavy, and it self centres (even when parked!).

When it isn't working, there is a few degrees play, it stays where it is and it's jolly heavy.

yours unhelpfully, clive

(now name that system...)

Reply to
Clive George

WTF do you drive?????

power

and the

parked!).

ISTR an old, 80's?, model Citroen that had that feature. Provided the engine was running, it self centred while stationary. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Close enough. DIRAVI is the name of the system, mine was on a CX.

In normal operation, there's no direct mechanical coupling between the steering wheel and the steering rack - it's all done with hydraulics. Obviously it is fail safe - there's a normal rack and pinion in there, it's just ignored most of the time.

Originally seen on the SM, also later on some XMs and DSs had something similar as far as I can make out.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George