Dropped torque wrench

Nuts, clumsy me dropped my new torque wrench. Will it still be accurately useable ? or will it need re-calibrating ?

Reply to
James

That's the first time I've heard homicide of " 'er the wifey " referred to as 'dropped my new torque wrench'...

Reply to
r_trainer

Not unless you've bent it. Or it was really reaalyy cheap.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its in good shape not bent wasn't cheap either. A cheap one would be about as good as guessing

Reply to
James

Well you can always hang a weight on the end & check yourself.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

hey ? hows that work then ?

Reply to
James

Well, for instance....

Set it to 20ft/lbs fix the square end in a vice such that the wrench is horizontal, then find something which weighs an accurate 20Lbs. Suspend this weight at exactly 1 foot from the centre of square end and the wrench if accurate should just be clicking. Change the 20Lbs to what ever weight might best suit your wrench.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Any idea how much it costs to get a torque wrench calibrated? I've pondered this as they don't cost that much any more. Unless it's a fiver or tenner, maybe purchasing a new one is just less hassle.

I feel a googling coming along.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If they're that cheap they don't come calibrated. Just buy a weight.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

until February I worked for a calibration firm and one of my duties was calibrating torque wrenches (a soul destroying job which was one of the reasons I left.)

the prices where around 20 to 30 pounds per wrench depending on size and type. in the five years I did it I only saw one wrench that was for a private customer the rest where companies making sure that they had an up to date certificate for quality control, inspecting bodies and legal reasons.

the private customer asked if he could watch as I did his wrench (using a test rig with electronic sensors) then asked how he could replicate the test at home.

here are the instructions.

fix the wrench so it cannot move. get a lever (metal or wood) to hang the weights on TWICE the length you where going to use fix the lever to its mid point is attached to the wrench. this is because the lever has weight but if it is balanced then this weight is cancelled out. attach weights to calculate torque multiply weight by distance from balance point (e.g. 10 lbs. at 1 foot is 10ft.lbs. 10 lbs. at 1.5 foot is 15ft.lbs.)

if working in metric 1 kg is 9.8 Newtons and measure distance in meters.

you may find it easier using a spring balance like the type anglers use than weights

hope this helps

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr