Drums/bearings question

Got a 1999 Mk1 Fiat Punto 60, 94k miles, definitely needs rear brake shoes and both rear brake cylinders replacing.

Brake drums have been declared to be close to max. allowable internal diameter and "unevenly worn". When queried this they said one was worn 0.8mm above spec. for a brand new drum, other was 0.9mm above spec. (hence comment about "uneven" wear - I checked and they said they didn't mean that the individual drums were worn elliptically, just that the wear was different on either side). I don't have definite figures as the Haynes manual for it is in the post but I'm assuming that max. allowed wear is 1mm above the new spec. internal diameter.

If you were doing shoes and cylinders on this, would you automatically do drums as well? If so, would you change the bearings too or reuse the existing? Drums I can probably get for less than twenty quid each, not sure on bearing cost. Just had a look on eBay and it looks different from what I've dealt with before on Pug 106/ Citroen AX - "rear hub bearing assembly", what's all that about? :-(

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Can't see one, or any evidence of nut staking.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Well, I assumed so. There are these two stupid little nuts on the drum face with like witches' hats on top of them, I assumed they were just screwed-in inserts to help you get the wheel on. But maybe not. I'm fumbling in the dark with it really. Probably best left until the Haynes shows up.

Would explain why the hub nut cover was a bitch to get off and didn't look like it had been recently removed/inserted, not since about...er...1999.

Wouldn't be like them.

No, full service.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:SKlgh.9135$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Last time I came across those, they were for locating the wheel, AND held the drum on. :-) Little 10mm things I think.

Reply to
Tunku

Correct. Sussed it now. And the HBOL has arrived. Thunderbirds are go.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Is that your metro on ebay Vim? That stripey one?

lol.

I was wondering if the poster was one of the loonies or the careful owner??

Reply to
Billy H