Dual Mass Flywheel - replacing it

VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001

The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts. I find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.

It is an expensive item and seems to have a slightly dodgy reputation. It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie conventional) flywheel.

The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?

Would the extra vibration be significant?

Any other pros or cons?

The original clutch has not reached 100K miles. My clutches normally last forever. Could the DFM be responsible for reduced clutch life?

Reply to
nigel nailhead

Yes

That's a pays your money & takes your choice question, you'll notice it, wjether or not you'll care is another question.

Well in theory it also helps make the gearbox & cv joints last longer.

It shouldn't.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Anyone noticed a difference in practice?

Reply to
nigel nailhead

I have a diesel Mondeo. It needed a new DMF. I was first told that I could have a solid one and wouldn't notice it. I then was told that this only applied to vans. I suspect that the manufacturers would not fit one if they did not think it was necessary, particularly given the bad reputation they have.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

nigel nailhead gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Wise.

Not as expensive as having to get to it all again in a year when the DMF fails.

Yes.

Very unlikely. Have you had this Passat from new?

Reply to
Adrian

I wonder if is just about making diesels seem smoother to discerning customers. I wonder when the extra vibration would show up.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

In fairness to the DFM then I should point out that it is probably the friction plate which is gone and for all I know (haven't looked at it yet) the DFM could be good for another 100K?

No I've only done half the mileage on it so clutch could have been just about done when I got it.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

nigel nailhead gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It could, yes. But, really, do you want to risk it? How much are you being quoted for labour to replace the clutch, and what's the marginal cost of swapping the flywheel at the same time?

Entirely possible. A neighbour recently purchased a c.6mo/10k mile Audi A4 TDi. It needed a new clutch shortly afterwards. He was not amused.

Reply to
Adrian

nigel nailhead gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's _exactly_ what it's about.

Reply to
Adrian

No not really. The only thing I hate more than working on cars is paying someone else to do it.

I'm planning on DIY, so marginal cost is cost of DMF which is about £218.

10K!
Reply to
nigel nailhead

nigel nailhead gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

OK. Put a notional value on your time, blood, sweat, swearing for the job.

I'm quite sure that I could kill a clutch in a lot less than that if I was trying...

Reply to
Adrian

Personally I think it would be crazy to open the car up to this extent without replacing this item. However, if you're doing it yourself and not paying labour, then maybe it makes sense.

Also, if you end up with vibrations by fitting a solid flywheel, would you be happy with them?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Depends when and how bad - so perhaps. I think I'm going to go with replacing the DMF though.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

and risk of accidental damage and list of other jobs I should be doing. I know.

Its a wonder there isn't some sort of electronic detection and warning re clutch abuse\trauma.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

The DMF is exactly about making diesels seem smother. Yes you will notice extra vibration. As others have said, it depends on whether you're prepared to accept that.

For me, my car is on 136k and no documented changing of the DMF but then again, 90k was motorway mileage.

Reply to
Conor

Some people with tuned Fabia vRSs have solid flywheels in, as the original DMF and clutch is considered OK with a mild remap, but not if you're pushing nearly 260BHP (or rather the torque needed to generate that power froma diesel).

Apparently there's a little more vibration, and a bit of chatter from the gearbox at idle.

OTOH a colleague had his 306 HDI converted and said it was no worse, but then again, his DMF may have been on the way out.

Whatever, if it was mine, I'd replace the DMF, either with a solid or a new OE DMF. It's too much of a pain dropping gearboxes :-)

Regarding the clutch life, it varies according to how it's been driven, but I'd expect about 80k as a reasonable yardstick.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I have come to the conclusion that on many vehicles it can be quicker and easier to lift the engine rather than remove the gearbox (I don't know about the OP model) or in many cases just slide the engine to one side while changing the clutch (I changed a fiesta 1.25 clutch like that the other day, total job less than two hours and preferable to messing about with drive shafts, suspension, gear linkages etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful