DVLA records

Does DVLA keep a record of what vehicles I have owned?

I am not talking of finding current owner I.e if they key in 'Blenkinsop B' will it tell them what cars I have owned over the years and if so how long back would such a record go?

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

A vehicle I scrapped in 2010 is still on the TAX and MOT data lists.

? Untaxed Tax due: 12 May 2010

? No MOT Expired: 01 May 2010

I would assume they still know I was the last owner.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I would think that the information is all there somewhere, but it depends on what facilities are programmed into the computers. Since it seems that DVLA currently has no provision for correcting its own errors concerning historic car registrations [1], this would probably be way beyond its normal abilities. Also, until a certain date, ~1970s, all information was entered by hand from paper reports, so may not be digitally available.

[1] I would post a link, but it is for a Members' Only page on a club website.
Reply to
Davey

They could, but I bet that unless it was a Police request there would not be an answer to your question.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Perhaps the OP doesn't want anyone to know? ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, because you've used different names over the years. And there may actually be someone else using that name.

and if so how long back would such a record go?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

They would need all addresses you have registered vehicles at as well. If you have registered a change of address then they might be able to follow the trail.

Does a woman that changes a log book to match her married name count as a "NEW" keeper and increase the keeper count?

So you think that having printed details of "former keeper" on the log book they simply discard former keepers data record from the database?

Since the start of computer log book records there will be a record of every owner of every vehicle. Where it fails is people sell/scrap vehicles without telling them and then move, so they have a very large number on missing vehicles that aren't being taxed or MOTed but are still on record as being "owned" with no one by that name at that address. I suspect a lot older cars have been bought and then scraped/dismantled at a profit without any notification to DVLA, wasn't any need to have a log book to scrap a car until recently.

What isn't "live" is on micro-filch - so yes they can't just key in the name and find it but the record does exist and can be found with some expense of a records clerks time.

Before computers there were records at local registration offices. Most (if not all) will be in some county archive stores.

Reply to
Peter Hill

A change of name (on marriage) would be just that, not a new keeper.

I have scrapped many cars and have sent back the reg. document marked as scrapped, yet they still appear on DVLA online records.

There is no need for a log book to scrap a car even now, I asked just that at the scrap yard a couple of weeks ago, they type the reg. number straight into DVLA and tell them it is permanently scrapped. (someone gave me a Fiesta without the logbook, getting a new logbook would halve the scrap value)

Reply to
MrCheerful

micro-filch: a very small theft?

Reply to
Graham J

Thanks for the comments but the question was about the record of the cars kept by a person

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

Surely the DVLA's prime function is to ensure that vehicles are taxed (or SORNed) by *somebody* until destruction. Keeping records of an individual's car ownership history isn't part of their remit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes but a record of the cars that a person has owned might be incidental information which could possibly be invoked by DVLA.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

I'm sure the data is there but they could charge for accessing it as it's not part of their public service.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Possibly, but only at great expense. I've just change address so sent in the V5, it hasn't come back yet, whereas changing address on my licence online produced a new photocard in less than a week. The V5 did ask for keeper's licence nr. but as 'not a statutory requirement' they can do without. So maybe one day they could link up all the data they have. On the other hand systems change over time and unless it is a specific requirement the ability to link data at a later date is just too much trouble, names change, addresses change, etc. At best it would be a manual process that might be justified as part of a criminal investigation if serious enough.

Reply to
DJC

It could well be for the police, etc. So why create a second database for just that purpose? Although that doesn't mean such records should be available to the public.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why "create" a second database at all for anyone? The whole point of a database is that it can be searched in many different ways. I dare say that they could create a list of blue cars registered in London owned by Jones's. The point is, there's no need to create a new database, you just search the one you have.

Computers are good at this sort of stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

80 million records with 47 data items are available on DVD, at a price of £96,000/pa. You have to be able to show you will use the data responsibly. At present the data is only shared with 6 companies that are all in the "check a car" business or trade organisations like SMMT.
Other firms / councils etc can pay £2.50 per enquiry for more data that includes postcode. This is used for parking charges etc.

You can make a free enquiry if you have "just cause".

Peter Hill

Did you actually read my reply?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why did you bring up a "second database"? I certainly didn't.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+