E/W relay position on vauxhall cavalier

I have just been given a 1988 Vauxhall Cavalier GL (Auto)

The drivers e/w switch, when pressed simply jumps the window down about 1.5 inches then stops. I then need to keep pushing button again and again for it to keep going down I'm assuming the relay is not working correctly.

It isn't in the fuse box under the bonnet, or in the drivers compartment (I know this as pulling out relays still allows teh windows to work)

Any idea where I can find it?

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

.. snip ..

Soz for dbl post - PC + connection playing up, didn't think it was sent

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Most of the gubbins for the control of the E/W is in the control box / motor / gearbox assembly within the door itself (quite a complex beasty - I've stared at them in despair on a couple of occasions).

First things first, have you reprogrammed it? - if power has been removed then the windows need re-programming before they'll allow you to use the one-touch method.

Just press-and-hold the window-close(/up) button for 5 seconds (with power available to the windows, of course, e.g. with ignition on). Hold for the full 5 seconds after the window is closed (don't worry about loading) - that defines the "closed" position, now the up/down controls should work normally.

If not, then there is a fault, give an update and I'll see if I can help more.

Regards

Mike Dodd

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I've tried but it's a different problem (I disconnected system ans saw what happenned to other window when it was deprogrammed).

No only does my "one touch" not work, but if I push and hold the button, it still stops after about half a second. You then need to release the button and try again.

I rekon I'll need to replace the "gubbins"

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Have you considered swapping the electronic gubbins from the door-that-works with the door-that-doesn't?, if you take the door panel off you can expose the back-end of the drive mechanism which holds the electronic gubbins via 4 torx screws. Remove those and the gubbins slide out quite easily. Do that from both doors and swap over.

Note: If, like me one of the controllers is knackered, also, have a girlfriend handy who watches throughout this procedure, and waits for you to refit both door panels before remarking that you've left the window open on the door that now has the duff control gubbins installed.

I happen to have the electronic gubbins from the Cav-That-Went-To-The-Scrapper-In-The-Sky, if you think it's just the control electronics (quite likely) then drop me an EMail -if you're happy to cover the postage costs I'll post it on if you want, although try the swap-the-gubbins-over trick first to isolate the fault (and then before I can send you a JPEG so that you can confirm the gubbins look the same). Remove the spam-trap from EMail, of course.

Regards

Reply to
Mike Dodd

p.s. further to the previous reply...

The gubbins I have has the following identification marks on the back...

05 0700 03

777-188212-000

(the second, I believe is the part-number), and is printed externally, near the 6-pin connector.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

May just do that.

I'll take it all apart at the weekend