E320 indicator (door mirror)

Advice , please, on how to get inside the drivers door mirror of a 2 yr old Merc E320 to replace the indicator lens.

(I just know you'll say "carefully spring out the mirror glass" but one can always hope!).

many thanks, Lol

Reply to
Lol

They are indeed usually just clipped to the pivot assembly. Run it fully one way so you can lever it off - protect the paint on the case, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would it be better to sucker it off? I broke my mirror levering it off to fix the motor. I was thinking of using my tomtom windscreen sucker thing next time I have to do this type of job - would it be too strong and break the glass anyway?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Most glasses will break when you try getting them off. Best option is a long lever, and lever them as near the fixing points as possible, but you then usually risk damaging the casing.

Reply to
moray

So a sucker in the centre would be best (that's how glass fitters hold large pieces of glass). I was wondering if anyone had tried the tomtom windscreen mount, and whether it was too strong for the mirror glass.

I may test it out on my cracked one if there is enough uncracked area.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith