Early Jaguar Auto Enrichment Device

I have an odd problem on my 1965 Jaguar S type with its auto enrichment device. It starts (just) but idles/runs poorly until warmed up.

The system is twin SU carbs and a simple third 'carb' that is solenoid operated and quite simply dumps additional fuel into the manifold. The solenoid actuates at below 30 deg and is very obvious in its operation (loud hissing) as a plunger lifts a 1/2" brass disc off a metered orifice allowing air and fuel to pass through to the manifold.

The solenoid operates and the plunger moves freely on and off the car with a nice hefty click but fitted with the engine running (I just short the solenoid to earth, bypassing the temp switch) it can't lift the disc off the orifice due to the vacuum at idle and the click is decidedly feeble and no hissing.

There is a 1v voltage drop due to the aged wiring loom but it doesn't matter if I hook up a direct feed from the battery - it still doesn't have the strength to lift the disc.

It's the original one, so do solenoids go 'off' with age?

Anyone have an idea of the resistance I should expect across the terminals?

Or is it something else?

Reply to
sweller

How did you get it to make a nice hefty click off the car? And they don't normally go soft, but you may need to move it slightly closer to get enough initial pull in.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're very simple devices - see here for diagram:

I took the solenoid part off the enrichment assembly and supplied it with

12v - the iron plunger/spring/disc retracted quickly and with a nice hefty click.

The winding part of the solenoid can only be in one position so there's no adjustment in relation to the plunger.

Reply to
sweller

Logic would suggest two possibilities.

1) The disc is no longer firmly attached to the solenoid because summat's broken inside so manifold depression stops the disc moving when the engine's running.

2) The solenoid has lost its mojo.

I suggest the former. Strip it down and have a look.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I've already stripped it - the disc is still firmly attached to the plunger mechanism.

Looking mojo-ish...

Reply to
sweller

What is the solenoid resistance?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Don't know - forgot to check it. What should I expect?

Reply to
sweller

At a guess, about 4-10 Ohms, but that's a guess. If it makes a loud clunk when off the car then I'd still bet on either the contacts to the solenoid being crap or the live feed.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hmm I'm wondering if the whole solenoid mechanism should be airtight - that way it wouldn't matter how low the pressure was on one side of the disc, it should have equal pressure on both sides iyswim? Does the coil etc. have a perished rubber seal perhaps?

Reply to
Simon Wilson

It makes a loud clunk when it's on the car too - just not when the engine's running.

I'll stick a meter on it tomorrow.

Reply to
sweller

No. At their fundamental they are nothing but a coil of wire and a lump of iron free to move around in the middle. So, nothing to "go off".

Mechanically though a different matter entirely. Gunge, s**te, rust, poor linkages and all that will make them sticky which may or may not be your problem.

Reply to
steve auvache

Failure of the insulation between layers of the coil can make the solenoid much weaker.

Reply to
John F

Indeed, as can failure of the varnish between the layers of a laminated core, although car stuff isn't always that sophisticated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Solenoids are generally air cored and have few layers.

Reply to
John F

Yep, certainly in car-type sizes; I've mostly dealt with ones several orders of magnitude larger in industrial situations, so very different.

I was really just agreeing with your statement that a solenoid can fail in a way that allows it to operate, but weakly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "sweller" saying something like:

Yes, they do. Especially ones of that era.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Duncan Wood submitted this idea :

At the back of my memory, I seem to recall they used to fit a manual switch to power the solenoid, bypassing the thermal switch.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

steve auvache used his keyboard to write :

I also wonder if something might have become magnetised, which could be countering the solenoids action?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It'd have to be very magnetised :-) I note that Bentley still sell the original service manual , which probably answers the question of what it's resistance should be.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have the factory manuals for the XJ6, and early cars appear to have the same unit. No resistance given.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)