Economical travel

With the ever increasing costs of motoring, i'm thinking this will soon catch on here in the U.K.

D. T. Green

It's not safe,there arn't any seat belts. wonder if the shape of the canopy takes some load off the suspension at speed.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Is that a seven or eight seater? The eight seat version would make it more economical.

Reply to
Rob

Life must be so much more fun... Bit like when I were a lad !

Reply to
Andy Cap

Well, that beats the guy I saw in China with a 3 piece suite on a Honda step-through.

Reply to
Huge

I started off thinking "Wearing a three piece suit, can't be *that* unusual in China."

It does remind me of Sanjeev Bhaskar talking about driving in India. He said that not only was it terrifying but very few vehicles were ever in a good state of repair and most cars have at most one functioning headlight. Then at night he saw a car with two headlights coming towards them and commented to his cousin that it was very unusual.

As it got close they could see that it was two C90s carrying a wardrobe between them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

lol. It can't be well balanced when stationary, so do they stick feet out when the speed drops and hope they don't disappear?

OT: I had a couple of IT jobs to do in Edinburgh & Inverness. I live in London, and for flexibility of working needed to be mobile in a car with tools etc. Company pays 40p/mile. That's a 1,100 mile round trip with me buying lots of fuel and driving for 9 hours plus. i.e. Not on...

I found a cheaper way for the company, flying myself comfortably and kit to Edingburgh, then me with a hire car driving the rest. Much cheaper would be a bus or train, but I'd have to haul the kit about and get knackered. Not good.

But here is the thing. If fuel prices rocket, then folks will stand a public transport trip in the middle, and then rent a car near the destination for the final hop. Fly Drive but this ain't the US.

So shall I invest in rental companies shares. Are these guys going to be more busy? Are the motorways going to be less?

Reply to
Adrian C

I end up doing that quite often, train & drive works quite well from London to Aberdeen , and way cheaper than driving the 4x4 up there.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Indeed not, but they're usually in the back of S Class Mercs.

*grin*

Indian roads are the most terrifying I've ever been driven on (on holiday, we travelled by car, bus, tuk-tuk and bicycle rickshaw. The latter was worst.)

Reply to
Huge

A mate owns a company based in Southampton and currently has 2 field engineers working on projects in Scotland.

They have perfected a system where on a Friday afternoon the vans are left at an airport convenient to where the engineers are working, which has flights to Southampton airport and they fly back early on Monday morning to collect the vans.

Engineers are happy as they aren't spending hours driving home, he's saving money on diesel and as all parts are delivered to the relevant site ready for the engineers there has been no inconvenience. Even with the cost of airport parking and flights, he's still saving a significant amount.

Reply to
Doctor D

Yup, I know Italians who are terrified of Indian roads. Even Neopolitans are scared of them and the driving in Napoli is well down to third world standards.

Personally, Rome and Milan are about the limit for me. I want to get places and if possible enjoy the drive. I don't like recreating Ben Hur using machines with 500 more horses than he had.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have to say that Liege is a pretty awful place to drive - I don't know what you have to do to get a licence in Belgium, but I can only assume it's done on a fairground in the dodgems.

Reply to
SteveH
[...]

Until 1968, they had no form of testing procedure - you just purchased a licence. They then introduced a test, but it was just a theoretical one! It wasn't until 1977 that any form of practical test was introduced, so there are plenty of older drivers there who have never taken any kind of examination into their driving.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My Brother in laws, Mother in Law is on of those. She at 86 still jumps into her Citreon C1 in Brussels and arrives in Hampshire frequently much to my BIL's chagrin. She has a somewhat strong personality with a strong dose of "I won't let the bastards grind me down". Probably responsible for her survival and somewhat mysterious arrival in England around 1943.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Until quite recently (1970s) the Belgian driving rest consisted of "drive

500 metres forward, stop, drive five meters in reverse". That means all of the older drivers can't.

When I worked in Germany taxi drivers would flinch and mutter each time they saw a red license plate with the "B" on it.

Reply to
Steve Firth