EGR valve codes

I'm still having problems with my Focus 2.0 TDCi EGR valve. I've removed, cleaned, refitted it and reset the MIL.

The MIL comes on about once a day with code P0490 (EGR control circuit high) and has to be reset with my code reader. When it does come on, its always within 1 - 2 minutes of engine start. It never comes on as soon as the engine has started and once it gets past that 1-2 minute period it will run for 100 miles without coming on. There is no impact in performance or economy even when the MIL is lit.

I may have another attempt at cleaning it but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and splash some cash but I'd hate to spend £300 on a new EGR valve and find that the problem is elsewhere.

Does the code and symptoms point to the EGV valve itself or could the problem lie elsewhere?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

it could be a wiring fault, but that is not likely and would probably come up instantly and all the time. Have you tried using high quality diesel for a couple of tanks and giving it a good caning?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It does get supermarket derv all the time, usually from the same place. I don't drive like a boy racer but it does get red lined once or twice a day and spends most of its time above 3k revs.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Go & pretend you're a boy racer till it gets very hot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Is it ok to do that sort of thing without a subwoofer box?

TBH, I'm fairly resigned to replacing the EGR. I've already had it off and gave it a good clean and I do give it some beans when I drive daily. I can't see that a prolonged thrashing will sort anything out. I was wondering about the EGR valve cooler though. What would happen if that got coked up?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If the cooler / pipework was clagged up, you would get a 'EGR flow deviation low' fault code. EGR flow is measured via the MAF.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..