electric aerial grief :-(

bent my old electric aerial mast for the 2nd time in as many years, fitted the last couple of replacements myself whithout a problem. When it came to this one I just fitted, the top end of the mast wouldn't go all the way in, so I snipped a bit of the nylon track off to make the thing shorter and it retracted perfectly. Problem now is, when the mast extends out, the mast gets to its full length and then the motor continues to extend for a further

10 seconds or so and you can hear a noisy rattling/ buzzing coming from the motor or gears as if some of the gears are fighting with the teeth on the nylon. Any ideas or experience if this is a fixable problem e.g. sensor to tell it's fully extended or something else or just give up and get a new one?

Cheers :-(

Reply to
Chef!

I've never had to take one apart so I'm only speculating here. I would expect there to be some sort of sensor to tell when the aerial is fully extended/retracted because the motor extending it is probably only a simple dc motor. To do it any other way would involve counting the number of turns the motor makes (which I'm fairly sure they don't do) or possibly timing the extension which wouldn't allow for slippage, tired motor etc. BICBW

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

There is a track on the circular peice that the nylon cord wraps around, simular to a wiper motor. By cutting the cord you've probably prevented the contacts reaching the end of the track. The fact that it wouldn't retract the aerial fully in the first place indicates probable wear in the mechanism. I'd say you'll probably have to bin it at this stage.

Reply to
John Egan