Electric forklift steering

Sorry completely off topic but thought someone might have some knowledge.

I have a TCM electric forklift about 20years old.

I drove it out of the garage today and it was working fine. It hasn't been used for a while. Then suddenly the power steering stopped.

After taking the service cover off at the back I noticed a 50Amp circuit break had tripped.

Normally when I switch the forklift on it has a gentle whirring. As soon as I throw the circuit break on this starts but the motor that is running isn't it's usual smooth noise. After a few seconds the circuit breaker trips.

I have jacked the rear of the forklift and the steering can be moved fine without any problems. I've also topped up the hydraulic oil. The lifting, forward and reverse are still working fine.

Is it an electric motor at fault? Any ideas?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I'd say yes to that.

It's obviously passing enough current to throw the trip, and the noise suggests possibly the bearings in the motor, or maybe the brushes in the motor are worn out.

Is the motor accessible? If so, can you remove an inspection cover to see the area of the brushes? And if so, are there loads of sparks?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks for the reply.

Motor is not easily accessible by the look of it. I think I'll have to lift the whole forklift up. As I don't think just jacking up one side will do it. Doesn't look as if it's going to be easy.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Thanks for the reply.

Motor is not easily accessible by the look of it. I think I'll have to lift the whole forklift up. As I don't think just jacking up one side will do it. Doesn't look as if it's going to be easy.

Well, it's lasted 20 yrs, you can't complain. :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat