Electric Polisher / Buffer - Any good ?

I'm thinking of buying an electric polisher / buffer to use on car paintwork after recently watching a bloke from Dent Wizzard using one preparing a car at an auction. It looked easy to use and the results looked impressive.

Are these worthwhile ? Does it take ages to learn how to get pro results ?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

Piece of cake to use, and the results are good. Don't get a big one though, as it limits where you can use it - bear in mind most panels are curved, so a large polisher won't get in! Likewise they're useless for doing around windows and trim, but for larger areas such as bonnets, roof, etc, they are a godsend.

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

I was thinking of getting a 24cm model (about 10" dia) mains powered unit. Do you reckon smaller would be better?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

I have just got a 180mm, variable speed (1,000 - 3,000) one from Ebay for £41 and I'm extremely pleased with it. Gives a lovely finish with G3 very quickly. I think Farecla do a fine buffing compound as well so might try that after I've had a session with the G3. Came with three foam buffing thingamajigs, ordinary and velcro backing pads and a lambswool polishing thingy. Don't want to disagree with Hellraiser (he might come and raise hell with me) but I wouldn't have thought size would matter too much as aren't most car panels convex. Even the odd concave bits I reckon you could get into with the edge of the foam pads or do by hand.

Reply to
Periproct

===================== Results can be very impressive, but if you're doubtful buy a cheaper one and try it for yourself. Have a look at this:

I used one before sale on a very shabby Metro and the buyer remarked on how well maintained it was!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

impressive.

Thats just the thing I had in mind. Maplins have them at about £20. Its not variable speed, not sure if that's a problem. The Screwfix one spindle speed is 3000 RPM. Is it difficult to handle? Does it want to fly all over the place ?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

LOL, no but when you put the polish on the pad make sure you've got the pad on the car before you switch on otherwise it goes bloody everywhere :)

Hellraiser.........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

To an extent that is correct, but the larger the pad the more polish you need to put on and the less control you have as it is both larger and heavier. A small one is much better for getting into the places a big one won't reach. Here endeth the innuendo :)

Hellraiser........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

My one is more like this

(Link to Ebay) Different seller but samebuffer/polisher.

I definately recommend it if your paint is a bit dull as you can compound the car so quickly compared to doing it by hand.

Reply to
Periproct

What polish thing to use? T-cut?

Reply to
T.

Interesting how they say free delivery then add £5.95 for packing and handling

Reply to
BORG

I use Farecla

Reply to
Periproct

I've a Nu-Tool vari-speed polisher/grinder that cost me £30 from an autojumble tool stall. Works a treat (except when my son gets it wet, which shorts out the speed control! ).

No, that's pants. Go to your local auto factor/vehicle refinisher and get some Farecla G3, which is what the pros use. Not cheap, but well worth it. For dark colours there are finer grades (eg G10) for finishing off. Keep it wet!

The car in this pic had just been cut with my polisher and G3:

Be warned: it's a messy job! Wear old overalls and move all other vehicles away unless you want to wash all of them!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

404 Not Found
Reply to