electric windows

I've just bought a 1995 Ford Escort 1.6. The front windows are electric, but the switch keeps cutting out; sometimes the drivers side, sometimes the passenger side, other times both! Is it easy to fix, and if so how do I do it?

Reply to
Alan Kirby

Water sometimes gathers in the bottom of the doors causing rust and corrosion to electrical contacts. Electric windows are particularly susceptible.

Your problem is somewhere in the electrical circuit which can be fixed easily with a bit of sand paper (or a file) and a drop of oil. What is not so easy is finding where to use the sand paper and oil. Remove the door trims and pull off any suspect contacts, sand these and squirt with oil before reconnecting. Do the same on the contacts behind the switches, pulling the connectors off and cleaning them.

I am not familiar with the Escort's system but if there is a central control the problem may be in that vicinity as it is unlikely otherwise for a fault to appear in both doors at the same time. A circuit tester may help to locate the point where the voltage stops.

DP