Electrical diagram question

Hi there,

I have a quick (and probably VERY simple question). The tail lights on my truck aren't working. I got hold of an electrical circuit diagram. Unfortunately, I'm unable to understand several of the symbols. The main one giving me trouble is a symbol that looks like >>

I'll give a link to a photo I took of the diagram. Perhaps if someone is kind enough, they might explain what the "mystery" symbols are. I've circled three spots on the diagram that I'm unsure of. The link is

Thanks a million, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The symbol >> indicates a plug and socket arrangement. In the case of >>, the right-hand > is the female receptacle, the left-hand > is the male plug.

I would guess these are single-pole plug & sockets and they could be something as simple as an in-line 'bullet' connector in the loom, or a .25" female 'spade' connector pushing on to a .25" male tab on the lamp assembly.

On the actual >> that you ringed, this would almost certainly represent the point where female receptacle (attached to the loom cable) plugs onto the male tab on the parking light bulb unit.

The lowest ringed symbol on your schematic ( three linked >>) indicates a

3-pole plug and socket assembly located mid-loom on the earth side of the cigarette lighter, ash tray and auto clock back lights.

The ringed circle with '38W' written inside represents the bulb itself, with

38W indicating the wattage of that bulb.

HTH

Reply to
mlv

The >> symbols look as if they'll be connectors of some sort. The circle is a lamp with the wattage written in the circle

Peter

Reply to
ph12

They aren't really standard symbols AFAIK, but I would guess they are simply connectors, and the three you have circled are probably a 3-way connector.

Reply to
Davemar

The round circles are lightbulbs - 38W meants a 38 watt bulb. I imagine the chevron symbols >> simply mean wire connections.

Reply to
Richard C

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

Cheers, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm trying to make out the 38W from that diagram, and I'm not convinced. Could it be that there are 3 marker lights at 8W each? Given that the tail lights etc are 8W I would think so, and 38W would be a hell of a lot for a side marker light (could it be 3.8W?). What vehicle is this anyway to be a B2000 82-84? And is it 12V or 24V? I suspect this may be US rather than UK, and some of the synbols used may be different. Certainly I'm not familiar with the >> symbol but from looking at the diagram I believe it may be a removable connector, either a plug or a male/female connector we call in UK a Lucar connector. The dotted lines circled woul probably indicate a "maybe" connector, i.e. it maybe there or not according to the exact model you have. Since it goes to earth, they may have bundled them together rather than have

3 separate earth connections.

HTH

Steve

Reply to