Electromagentic REversing Sensors

I have just bought a new Civic and want a reversing sensor but are not willing top pay the =A3400+ for a Honda one. I also am not too happy about having holes cut into the bumper.

I have found about an electromagnetic sensors that stick on tapes inside the bumper which emit an electrmagnetic field and sensors many disturbance to this field

Does anyone have any experience of these sensors? Is there anyway that this could interfere with the computerised electrics of the car.

Thanks

David

Reply to
david

The message from snipped-for-privacy@orchardhouse.org.uk contains these words:

Wonder how well an electromagnetic system would work with plastic bollards. My suspicion is not at all. The blurb says "Mass is then moonitored..." Hmmm - that sounds very dubious.

Or trees. Or kids.

Not that you should be relying on them for reversing anyway, but if you /must/ have them at least choose one which might pick up soft targets.

Reply to
Guy King

They're crap. They won;t interfere with the electrics but they're no good for detecting brick and plastic.

Why don't you try learning to drive?

Reply to
Conor

I've got an electromagnetic proximity sensor here & it seems to pick spick non-conductive things of that nature up fine.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Well, there ain't much in the way of computerised electrics inside a bumper...

I've not tried this type, but OEM tend to be all ultrasound, so draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

@Unless you buy an S Class

Reply to
Duncanwood

Is that the one which crashed when it was demonstrated?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope, that was the cruise control (or not :-)) The electromagnetic ones where raising a lot of interest with high end manufacturers as you can have a clean bumper line, how well the cheap ones work I don't know, the Merc ones definitely don't cost £79. I suspect the bigger problem with the cheap ones is false alerts due to conductive things on the ground.

Reply to
Duncanwood

But it must have sensors to maintain safe stopping distances?

I don't find the present ones intrusive if body coloured.

It would seem to me they'd need a mixture of technologies to cope with this app - a bit like a combined stud, pipe and cable finder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On my Mondeo, they're actually part of the scuff strip, so they're matte=20 black, to match the strip.

I've seen some really dodgy ones in the past, on quite high spec cars=20 too (Porsche & the like) that almost look like an after-market one from=20 Maplin.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That was the one which was crashed when they tried a manual simulation of a demo, because they knew that the radar cruise wouldn't work inside the steel-framed building that they were using...

Reply to
Adrian