Electronic mileage recorders can still be clocked!

I recently part-exchanged my six year old car with 97.000 miles on the clock. A few weeks later the same car was advertised on eBay with only

69,000 miles, and for about £1,700 more than I was paid for it. It therefore seems that electronic mileage recorders are not infallible! I have reported this scam to Consumer Direct, but I don't know if any action will be taken against the trader. BTW the car was advertised without claiming to have a full service history, which might have given the game away, but I guess even that could be forged. Caveat Emptor still seems to apply!
Reply to
Derek C

From what little I know, not first hand of course, this is a fairly routine service offered for about £50.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

The new style MOT Certificate is supposed to show the previous recorded mileages when tested, which should come as a bit of a shock to the new owner the next time it is tested! Or can that be fixed as well?

Reply to
Derek C

Actually, thinking about it, i was sent a mileage verification letter a few weeks ago by what looked to be a dealer paid for service, relating to a car I had some years back for a couple of weeks. But I can't remember with any accuracy, so the wasted a stamp there.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Clocking cars is (nearly) as old as cars themselves, and the low penalties (and small chance of prosecution) means it will carry on. Trading Standards etc haven't got the time to deal with individual cases.

Basically, when buying a second hand car, it is more likely to have been clocked than not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

  London SW

I suppose that part of the problem is that modern cars don't show their age and mileage as much as they used to. My 6 year old/

97,000mile car still looked and ran like new, although the suspension was starting to clunk and rattle a bit. My main dealer said they weren't interested in re-selling cars with more than 90k on the clock, so I guess that it went through an auction before being advertised by a trader over a 100 miles away.
Reply to
Derek C

    London SW

Oh, and by the way, I did try to complain to eBay about this car and the advert, but there is nothing to cover clocked motors on their website (as long as they are not stolen) and a representative I spoke to on the telephone didn't want to know.

Reply to
Derek C

Yes - those bought at auction for re-sale are prime candidates for clocking. I'd hope a recent model bought from a main dealer unlikely to have been messed with.

If a relatively recent car bought from a used car dealer has no service - or incomplete - history. you can be 100% certain it has been clocked. As opposed to just 99%. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you'd bought it and paid by Paypal you could have got a refund - not as described. However, I can't see them being interested in a complaint from someone just browsing. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

  London SW

I was just trying to be public spirited and to stop some poor punter being ripped off. I note that the car rapidly disappeared off eBay, so hopefully Trading Standards have been round and felt the trader's collar!

Reply to
Derek C

Nice to think so - but I doubt it. There are far more clocked cars than they can deal with. Unless they have lots of complaints about one dealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unlikely, since all it does is show the details recorded by VOSA on the previous tests - to change it would require VOSA's computers to be hacked...

Reply to
Adrian

They are more difficult. You now need to plug them in to computer equipment rather than fiddle about with a small screwdriver for five minutes.

But since when did "more difficult" mean "impossible"?

Reply to
Adrian

And it'll continue until punters start to get their head around the fact that "low mileage" does not automatically equal "better".

I wonder if DPFs will contribute towards this, finally...?

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed.

I really don't worry about the mileage these days - my B5 Passat was bought at 130k miles and sold at 180k and was still going strong, my 155 was bought on 140k miles and sold to someone in another NG on about 170k miles, who then did another 10k+ on it, before selling it to someone he knew, who, I believe, took it over 200k miles... my MX5 is now on 138k miles, my Alfa 75 on 135k miles and our last Alfa 156 was on 108k when bought and sold on 140k+.

Reply to
SteveH

It doesn't, but obviously if two cars are both identical other than the mileage, the low mileage one will be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And it's that opinion which makes higher mileage cars such outrageous bargains.

Reply to
SteveH

It`s easy to check the mileage on a car now.Admittedly you need info off the mot or registration certificate to do it but any honest person would let you see one of them before you buy.

mark

Nevertheless cars do wear out and become less safe and reliable, so the price should drop as the mileage goes up. I once ran a Peugeot 405 diesel from new to 160k over 5 years (I had a long commute to work at the time) at which point the turbo charger failed. very expensively. I would have been a bit upset if I had just bought it thinking it had only done average mileage of 60k and paid the appropriate price for that. Clocking a car is fraud and that is that as far as I am concerned. You should know what you are paying for!

Reply to
Derek C

It's a fact, not an opinion. Unless you believe nothing on a car ever wears out.

It's also why clocking a car is so profitable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)