Embarrassing question. Spark plug removal.

Hi there, I want to change the spark plugs on my 1997 ford mondeo but I can't get them out. From what I've read online you should just have to pull the plastic plug that the cable goes into. Well, I can twist it slightly but there's no way it'll come out. Nothing needs to be unscrewed first does it? It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

Reply to
Art Vandelay

On my 'M' reg 1800 Mondy they just pull off. However a couple of them are very hard to pull off...the little spring clip must hold the plug v. tight.

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for the answer. Ok, I'll down some spinach and give it another go. The fact that they are set down in a groove means that it's difficult to get a grip on the plug.

Reply to
Art Vandelay

They can get very tight- the rubber boot gets stick to the plug insulator- you;ll see why when you get them off.

Don't pull on the cable itself, you'll break it. I have found the best tool on these is a plumbers adjustable wrench to grip the circular base and lever against the cam cover.

Do not tighten the new plugs too much- an 1/4th turn from hand tight is all you need, and re-gap the new plugs from 1.3 mm down to 1.0 or 1.1mm, which gives the HT leads a better time.

If your leads are more than about 50k old its time for replacement anyhow, they are considered a wearing part on the Zetec-E engine. Only Motorcraft or Bosch are good enough.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for that Tim, I didn't realise that the leads would need to be replaced too. It's at 110k and I'd doubt that the previous owner changed them, so I guess it's about time :-)

Reply to
Art Vandelay

That's interesting about renewing HT leads. My Mondy is on 150k and I got it at

57k...not changed those HT leads yet, and still going strong. But maybe it'll go even faster if I do change them ? :0)

Good luck with those plug boots

Reply to
Jeff

The classic signs are misfiring when hot at 1500-2500rpm under load. In nearly all cases if you look at the leads you'll see lots of little pin pricks and tracking marks on the plug boots and / or lots of brown 'spiders-webs' along the leads themselves, usually always on plug 4 or 3.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Give it a good wrench, you 'ol limp wrist.

================================ Ted Rubberford. The Man In The Rubber Suit..

Reply to
Ted Rubberford