Emptying petrol from a Fiat Punto Mk2

My Punto is off to the knackers soon. Unfortunately, it has £50 worth of petrol in it that I very much want to empty out.

I have disconnected the fuel inlet pipe from the fuel injection, and I expected that it would be a simple matter of turning the ignition on, the petrol pump would operate, and my petrol can would be filled. Unfortunately, the petrol pump is not operating. I expect that there is something clever in the EMU to stop this.

I wondered whether I should run a cable to the petrol pump (helpfully situated under the rear seat)? There are four wires into the unit. Two thin ones are probably for the fuel level sensor. The two thicker ones probably operate the pump.

  1. Any comments on this please? Riskiness, precautions, etc.

  1. Anybody have access to a wiring chart and can confirm which colours the two wires to the pump are, and which one is positive?

Thanks.

Reply to
GB

The fuel pump wires will be one with a stripe for power (brown/white) and black for earth (which will be connected already through the collision cut out switch) or you can pull the fuel pump relay and bridge terminals 4 and 8

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No drain plug?

Reply to
Mr Pounder
[...]

On a petrol tank? Not since the 1950's...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Wrong. When I did my European tour in 1977, most of the cars I stole petrol from had a drain plug on the tank.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

And how many of them were Mk2 Puntos?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nissan had them till 1991.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks Mr C. I'll give that a go.

Reply to
GB

About as many as usefull posts by the OP.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Although as typos go that's quite rude to the OP, sorry, you know who I meant

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Re: Emptying petrol from a Fiat Punto Mk2 -- I thought I would post my solution for posterity.

First, I removed the air cleaner from the top of the engine and disconnected the thick Black rubber hose from the right-hand side of the fuel injection assembly.

2nd, I lifted the rear seat and removed the round black blanking plate. The fuel pump is underneath that. There are 2 thick wires and too thin wires. The 2 thick ones are for the petrol pump. (I guess the 2 thin ones are for the fuel gauge.) The 2 thick ones are coloured purple/purple with a black stripe.

3rd, I scraped some insulation off the 2 purple wires and attached the crocodile clips from a battery charger. This powered the petrol pump, and a stream of fuel emerged from the black rubber hose (into the fuel can I placed there!)

Obviously, I could have just run a wire from the battery to the petrol pump, instead. The advantage of using a battery charger is that I can switch it on and off at the mains electricity outlet, so any spark is well away from the petrol.

Reply to
GB