Engine erratically runs lumpy then clears on my Pug 106 1.4i V reg

Just done head gasket, to clear the emissions on the MOT last month.

Now my 106 1.4i V reg has developed an engine problem.

She runs fine, until at a random point of say 5 miles, the engine starts running lumpy, goes to cut out. But if I keep reving it, it keeps running and clears its self. Sometimes it cuts out. When its running lumpy it gives out black smoke.

Sometimes on tickover, the engine revs drop from normal to 800, and then they pick up to about 1200. Then after a minute the revs drop back down to normal.

Just changed the Lambda, but still has not solved the problem.

Any ideas.

Reply to
dutchman

I am not familiar with your exact vehicle, but if it has an egr valve read on:

a problem with the egr valve is possible, I did a vauxhall head a while ago, after a few miles it ran as you describe, then cleared, then lumpy etc. eventually traced it to lumps of crap coming through to the egr valve and holding it open, everything is then confused and it runs badly, the bits fall out and it is fine again. pull off the egr valve and have a look. clean as needed, repeat as needed. If not this, then have a good look for air leaks.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No EGR on these Mr C.

I was contemplating the coil pack beginning to break down which is spiking the ECU. Google for Sagem ECUs / coilpacks and see what i mean!

Only use the modified Bougicord coil pack, and change it before your ecu is totally dead.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The mixture is going rich so possibly the temperature sensor is faulty or has a bad connection.

Might be the same thing as above or might not. Hard to say.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Will a diagnostic check with an OBD2 find the prob ??

Reply to
dutchman

OBD2 does not work, as its pre original 2000 build.

Anyhow the head gasket has just been changed. And it was running fine for about 2 weeks, and it got throu the emissons on MOT with flying colours.

I now notice that the cooling water is bubbling up (which it did not do in the 2 weeks after gasket change).

Compression tested each bore, only to find that the same bore that had got a blown oil to water, is now 20psi down on compression compared to the others.

I did not skim the head as it and the block passed the dye penetrant crack test.Would the wet liners be cracked ???

Any ideas, apart from taking head off again, and having a look.

Reply to
dutchman

Well anything that can be fixed will involve taking the head off & if it's not obvious why it failed get it skimmed & pressure tested.

Unlikely.

Reply to
Duncan Wood