Engine Management Light Stays on

The light now stays on permanently on my wife's Ford Focus Zetec. I think it may have been where I was running low on petrol as the fuel light came on 1st before the engine management light, thinking it was my diesel van I drove it a good few miles while I could feel it shudder so a further few miles went by and I found a petrol station. In went the unleaded (not diesel)and set off but a few miles the car started being sluggish the Engine management light came on and started flashing I was about 10 miles from home so carried on the journey but it feels now its like running on 3 cylinder. I think I may have brought crap up from the tank I am calling Tune-up Tuesday to get it sorted any other ideas on what It maybe. Cheers

Reply to
TGS

coil pack, probably

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for the quick reply The Mrs is asking what is that and are large =A3 signs sounding?

Reply to
TGS

Thanks for the quick reply just done a google on focus coil pack and sounds just like the symptoms

Reply to
TGS

iirc about 80 quid, but you should also replace the leads and plugs

Reply to
MrCheerful

Pick one up from a breakers muchness cheaper than that. *Brand new* plugs and leads is a must, though.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

...and preferably genuine ones from a dealer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Many thanks for the usefull replies

Reply to
TGS

From memory the leads are in the 70-80 quid region on the 1.8 petrol. FWIW I have read here repeatedly that only the genuine ones will do (and that's what cured the ~2000 RPM splutter on mine).

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

£40 for a set of genuine leads from a dealer.
Reply to
Conor

Last set I bought for a Mondeo was £48 I think.

Reply to
Tony Bond

All sorted cost =A3133 new plugs n coil pack Tuneup

Reply to
TGS