Engine noises (Cont)

Hi All, Previous to a post on here that I posted:

*+t+group%3Auk.rec.cars.maintenance&rnum=2&hl=en#9e7a7d9c19925b8c my car has now packed in. Brief history was that the car engine was making funny noise, non attributal to anything in particular. Last night, I was travelling home when I turned the corner and the car made a massive 'groaning noise'. Next thing I know power steering had gone. I was half a mile from home so got back after steering the car like I used to on my old Montego. When reversing on drive, I noticed loads of oil drops on road and upon inspecting the power steering oil reservoir it was empty, half sprayed across engine and rest dripping or having dripped. No obvious sign where it has come from. Coolant, Engine oil levels etc all remain as they were. Any ideas?. Big job?, I'm somewhat anxious now as I can't afford a new car, incidentally, Saturady, I booked the local mobile mechanic to come have a look at it on Friday, so will have to wait till then. Just wondering if anyone is kind enough to give me possible hints as to what and cost. Thanks in anticipation

Old Fa*t

Reply to
Matt

*+t+group%3Auk.rec.cars.maintenance&rnum=2&hl=en#9e7a7d9c19925b8c>

Complete guess. Dripping oil leaking from somewhere cause teh power steering pump to be noisy, but still work. The somewhere just sprang a bigger leak.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

so, you've got a leak from the PAS. check all the pipes for chaffing (or a burst one) if you still carnt see the leak top up the reservoir with fliud,start the engine and look again good luck

Reply to
ford_technical_

Turned out it was the Power Steering pump giving up the ghost. Thanks to all who replied

Reply to
Matt