Engine Oil level too high...

Oil level on my peugot 206 lx is listed too high on the indicator on the dash and confirmed by checking dipstick.

What will actually happen if I continue to run it without draining off the excess? People have told me not to worry - will it really damage the engine or should I fix asap?

TIA

Reply to
A Chap

risk of blowing out oil seals

Reply to
Neil B - blueyonder Internet Redditch

Depends by how much it has been overfilled. If its only slight, effects will be minor, the increase in friction will lower your economy and that's all. If it's grossly overfull, you risk damage to oil seals, and possible forcing of oil through the crankcase ventilation system into the cylinders.

A mate of mine at universty (who did not know a lot about cars) once decided to check the oil in his escort - unfortunately he hadn't heard of dipsticks or similar, so kept filling until he could see the oil level under the filler cap (about 15 litres went in, all told.) He then couldn't start it, which was probably fortunate in the circumstances.

Reply to
Bob Davis

LOL - cheers lads.

Reply to
A Chap

Shaft con roads etc as pistons slap against the oil. Too much oil can cause as much damage as having no oil at all.

Reply to
Conor

I find that garages (I have used) more often that not overfill, along with slapping 5L oil on the service bill.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

If it's high enough to bring on a warning light then do something about it.

*IF* it causes any damage, it's likely to make the crankshaft front or rear seal leak (with the knock on effects they can cause such as slipping clutch or timing belt damage).

I'm told you can buy some type of pump/syphon device which goes down the dipstick tube and draws oil out that way - much easier than trying to drain a small amount out via the sump plug!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis