Engine slow to start first time round

I'm having a problem with the Rover K-Series engine that I changed the cylinder head gasket on, where the engine is slow to start immediately after it has been stood for a couple of hours, but will start instantly thereafter, even if the engine has only turned over for a second following the difficult start.

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that the first gasket I used was faulty and allowed more water into the oil, following which I only replaced the oil and filter (couldn't face getting the hydraulic lifters out again so left them as they were). Having said that, there isn't any tappety sound when the engine finally fires up, and I would have thought they would have flushed through by now anyhow.

Seems odd that whatever the issue is it only happens the first time the engine is wound up, hence thinking maybe the lifters are not working at first. The only other thing I can think of is that the fuel is slow to prime, but the fuel system looks pretty simple and reliable, and I haven't messed with it short of pulling the inlet manifold aside.

Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Andy

air leak would be my first check or coolant temp sender not plugged in

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it 's like a lot of K-series, the gasket has gone again and you're getting water in the cylinders. They're never the same after the first HG change and personally I wouldn't bother.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong