Engine warning lights - Astra 1.8

My friend has reported a problem with her car. Vauxhall Astra Bertone Coupe. 1.8 03 year.

Engine warning lights coming on as described by her (I should say, she knows the difference between a piston and a timing belt!):

"The engine management light (the one that is a spanner going through the car) is on most of the time now but initially I could cut the engine and it would go away.

Now for the last couple of weeks I get the emissions light (engine shape) coming on along with the cooling system light (Battery with star in top right hand corner) although most of the time I now have the emissions light on.

The car runs smooth enough, no jumping around but when the cooling system light comes on the fan sounds like its going very fast."

Any ideas?

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Buy a fault code reader?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think (though not often) the light you have descibed is actually something to do with the alarm/imobilizer not engine management.

regards

Reply to
atsu67

Duncan Wood wrote

I'm old school. A fault code reader. Any recommendations? I always imagined such things would be expensive.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

wrote

Thanks for the info. I should say, I am quoting my friend from an email. I haven't seen the car myself.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Although on further investigation flashing is imobilizer and perm on engine electronics so not much help sorry

regards

Reply to
atsu67

wrote

No trouble. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Cheaper than paying the garage

the elm327 ones and a laptop are a lot more informative

Duncan Wood

Or the elm327 ones and a laptop are a lot more informative>

And then it still won't talk to the coolant control module, which is what the symptoms sound like.

Reply to
moray

Duncan Wood wrote

Thank you very much, Duncan. Much appreciated!

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

moray wrote

Sounds interesting, moray. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney